1950's General Badged Columbia?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this off ebay for my Dad who is turning 60 this month so it should be very close to his birth year. I'll have to check the serial # when it arrives. Does anyone have any more info on this bike? It claims to have original paint on the frame but all reference pics I see have two toned paint schemes and I can't find any info on the "General" badge or brand (where it was sold etc.) Is the front fork accurate from the pics? it was obviously replaced at some point. I want to give my Dad a nice rider that he'll be able to enjoy riding with my Mom so I just want to tune it up and maybe add a rear rack, springer fork and tank if they can be had a good price.

From my experience bikes with name tags such as "General", "Leader", etc were the "value-priced" models w/o the goodies, ie: tanks, spring-forks, etc. However, the fork has been replaced on this one; how was it when new?
Time, cost, fit issues to find tank and spring fork might add up to finding a complete bike with the features you want as the better option.

thanks for the info and I agree that those parts would add up quick. Ultimately I just want a nice rider for my Pop so I really don't need to try to make it something it wasn't originally.

I don't speak from vast experience or anything but I agree with Black Monark. I would just go through it maintenance wise, clean it up nicely, and give it to your Dad as it is. It's a very nice looking bike. If you get the time post some pics of it after you receive it. Maybe some before and after shots.

Yeah, I'll definitely post some pics after I go over it and clean it up if it needs it. Looks like the fork and the chain guard have a coat of primer on them. I was thinking of trying to match the maroon paint color with some rattle cans and maybe cutting out a "Columbia Built" stencil for the chain guard as well. What do you guys think?

Latest posts

Back