1950s(?) JC Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advertised on CL as 1950s. Was this really made in Germany and sold by Sears?

It has a cottered european BB in a US sized BB frame tube.

Someone back in it's history spray bombed it, and didn't do a very good job.

The light works, but looks new. Same for the rear rack. Front and rear rims do not match.

image026.jpg

image030.jpg

image031.jpg

image028.jpg

image029.jpg

image027.jpg

image033.jpg

image035.jpg

image036.jpg

I'm almost sure that the light is new, it is very clean inside and works.

I didn't have time to do much more than unload it and put it away last nite.

This belongs in the "why do I buy this stuff thread" ,,,, :D :D

it looks like what alot of us do here... throw parts at a bike to build what we like.... I think parts came from several bikes to make one bike.... All good though... It is a nice bike... 8)

garagegoon, I think you are correct. some parts are interesting.

it's not a bad bike, however it looks better in pictures than in person.

have not made up my mind if I want to part it, or try to sell it as a vintage rider on CL locally.

I have a pair of whitewalls that would spruce it up.

The story I've heard concerning these is that there was a factory strike in 1956. Presumably murray, since they built the bulk of bikes for Sears at that time. They did likely get together with Stelber, who wasn't a company, but a NYC Import co. They imported bikes from Europe, and probably set up sears' relationship with Daimler/Puch/Steyr, who started making Euro style 3 speed bikes in the early 50s. Some of these mid 50's Higgins' were made in Germany, some say W. germany, and some in Austria. Also, I've concluded that Stelber was friendly with NY Neighbors Chain Bike/Ross, since some Stelber badged bikes have surfaced with CBC parts, especially the large 'lucky 7' style chainring. There were also a few JC Higgins' at that time that look to be entirely CBC sourced. This may have been the same time several Monark built Higgins' were built. Very confusing, but it seems to be the way things worked out! -Adam

The fender light is new (I was forced to do the same thing) The original light would have resembled a small version of a Monarch fender light, although mine was built into the fender. The rack looks to also be added. I have found a rack from these German bikes but continue to search for a light.

Latest posts

Back