1950's Schwinn Paint Codes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where I can find accurate paint codes for red Schwinn finishes from the late 1950's? I've heard Sherwin-Williams supposedly provided the Schwinn factory with its enamel paints at the time, and that their Automotive Finishes division can potentially look up the codes today. Any advise?

Thanks, Adam! While the Sting Ray colors are all over out there, it seems the earlier paints and codes are harder to figure out... my frame specifically is a '60 double straight-bar. I found through extra research there are a number of things to consider with different years, and that the best way to match the factory finish exactly is by scanning it and having it computer-matched. Sounds cheap... :banghead:

Thanks, Adam! While the Sting Ray colors are all over out there, it seems the earlier paints and codes are harder to figure out... my frame specifically is a '60 double straight-bar. I found through extra research there are a number of things to consider with different years, and that the best way to match the factory finish exactly is by scanning it and having it computer-matched. Sounds cheap... :banghead:

I did my green '52 Panther with Sherwin Williams. I had inside the chain guard matched but had to buy a spray can for the light green. If you're buying paint they'll match it for free. Ours did anyway.

Cool! I called Friday morning, and was told that my local Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes store does not have access to any Schwinn codes or to one of the paint scanners. Good to know some not only have the equipment, but will match for free! Guess I'll start looking to other locations. Thanks for the info, Pedal_junky!

Back