1982 Schwinn Spitfire 20 inch.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1952 Schwinn Spitfire 20 inch. Plucked off of c-list, tagged as a Bantam. Going to be a rat project for my boy.
DSC02873.jpg

Awesome! I was looking for something like that. Ended up getting a muscle bike built from a Monark Pilot frame from the 50's. I'm converting it back to something like that and going to "hot rod" it out. I've started mine, but I'm leaving town for a couple month starting September. I'll put up the build thread in early November for a Christmas finish.

When are you starting yours?

Very kool double duck-tail fenders.Keep us posted on the build...is your boy old enough to help?...P 8)P.S.-I'm beginning to think we all have the same garage door to photo in front of... :lol:

Thanks. I was going to chop the fenders, but the more I look at it, the more they'll probably survive. I'm thinking stock parts, but new paint. I do have a girls donor bike just in case. It's in the project corner now, so hopefully I will get a start on it next month. My boy is six, and will ride it. He's more of the idea man, and his three year old bro is the mechanic. Gotta love the old white door pics, could be taken anywhere.

Re: 1982 Schwinn Spitfire 20 inch. updated pic.

I took a few minutes to make it rideable, and was informed by my boy that he had no interest in it. :( I have learned by now that what I think is cool, he doesn't automatically think is cool.

DSC02919.jpg

Don't give up! Welcome to RRB! Rat that sucker out for him!! If it's not a surpise (LIke mine is for my 8yo) then get him involved!

What really helped me finalize some ideas was I had him go through every RRBBO7 bike with me to judge them. When he told me he liked a bike I asked why, what specifically, why THAT bike. His favorites were the 50's bike at the start and the Hot Rod Higgins. He really liked that satin black hot rod look. That's what he's getting in his.

You've got great bones in that bike.

I am glad that I found this thread!
A couple of years ago, I bought one of these from one of the neighborhood kids. He wanted a new bike, I told him to ask his parents and when he came back, he told me $20. I gave him a $50. bill! Anyways, the bike is a '51 but, someone added a set of original '64 Sting Ray handlebars (the correct Schwinn wide bars) that are perfect, and a genuine Sting Ray seat...
Definitely worth my $50!
It wasn't until now that I knew that it is a 'Spitfire'! I have it in the shed and it will be a future project....

Silverick said:
A couple of years ago, I bought one of these from one of the neighborhood kids. He wanted a new bike, I told him to ask his parents and when he came back, he told me $20. I gave him a $50. bill! Anyways, the bike is a '51 but, someone added a set of original '64 Sting Ray handlebars (the correct Schwinn wide bars) that are perfect, and a genuine Sting Ray seat...
Definitely worth my $50!
It wasn't until now that I knew that it is a 'Spitfire'! I have it in the shed and it will be a future project....
That's what is called a 'Pig Bike'. The California Customs of 50's frames with high rise bars and polo seats that started the muscle bike craze!

CRASH said:
Silverick said:
Definitely worth my $50!
That's what is called a 'Pig Bike'. The California Customs of 50's frames with high rise bars and polo seats that started the muscle bike craze!

Well then, I have myself a "Pig Bike" and I'll make it work!!
Thanks!!

Back