1st rat rod. efficiency inspired.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently built up my first rat rod. i have long admired the bare-bones old-school beat up style of rat rods, be them in car, motorcycle, or bicycle form. i managed to find all the parts between my own parts bin and the local bike co-op. my goal was to attain something of a boardtrack style, but since the boardtrack motorcycles were not designed for pedaling efficiency, i took some cues from modern bikes (namely the seat height, fork rake, etc.)

the frame i am almost positive is a Schwinn (if you can ID the frame, please let me know!) i'm on the hunt for some better pedals, but other than that i'm pretty satisfied with the bike. it rides great! i really enjoy the vintage look but still feeling like i have good pedal efficiency (i'm a tall guy) with allows me long rides at ample speed without knee pain. hope you enjoy!

4421794798_9ff6cefb84_b.jpg

4421791814_4aebb4abcc_b.jpg

Ok I'm not even a Schwinn guy ,but I thought a 62 was the only year that the twin tubes were together at the seat with the stays. On his frame they are seperate , so Its not a 62.

so i did some research, and there seems to be some disagreement (or misconception), even elsewhere on this forum. but the best impression i can get is that it's probably a 59-60(maybe 61) tornado? almost every one i've seen of those has the non-connected twin bars, whereas only one 61/62 typhoon has been this way.

i'm also under the impression that the tornado and typhoon were the same frame, just different parts, but the typhoon wasn't built until 62 (even though some '62s' were built in 61)

Great build, great pics.

Was it evening when you took those? The first pic looks like it was taken in the 60's and found in a coffee table book. I keep waiting to see Barry Sheen flick a spent cigarette.

yeah the shots were taken after dark. i was aiming for somewhere well-lit and without era-specific details in the background. other than the alarm system i think it was pretty successful. i'm keeping my eye out for another good spot with no technology whatsoever, to really sell the "vintage" look.

Very well done. I kept wondering about the high intensity "arc" shadows. It was driving me crazy for a bit.

Good pics.

Back