MBBO 20+24 BAD Apple Peeler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a 1963 24" Schwinn Typhoon frame my brother found in Erlanger KY last year. Serial number C328651. I hope to build an adult sized Krate style 5 speed with it and some of the other parts that he found during his 3 visits to the bicycle hunny hole in Somerset KY. It was painted by someone previously but after some acetone and lots of rubbing the original paint looks fairly nice. I think you can tell the difference in the pictures. It has a lot of scratches but it 61 years old. I have heard people say "It's only original once." I hope once the respray is removed I can polish what's left and start the build. Let the fun BEGIN!
20240901_165355.jpg
20240901_165403.jpg
20240901_165409.jpg
20240901_165430.jpg
20240901_165438.jpg
20240901_165458.jpg

Last edited:
Would 0000 steel wool help get that spray paint off?
The spray paint is coming off with a terry cloth, acetone and lots of love. I don't want to take a chance of damaging the original paint any more than it already is. This is going to be a total build starting with just a frame like some of the Step Thru frames others are starting with. Wish me luck! I'm gonna need it.

I’m assuming you have, or are getting a 26” Schwinn Springer for the 20” front? Are you going to go for an Atom drum brake? Or are you poor like me?
I will be using a 26" generic springer and a Sturmey Archer Elite VT front drum my brother picked during all those trips to the hunny hole in Somerset KY. I asked him to see if he could find some old bikes and parts near where he live and BAM! 5 car loads of bikes, rims, tires, fenders, parts and tools came from that place. So I asked him to see if he could find any winning lottery tickets. I thought it was worth a shot.
20240904_080834.jpg

Oh yeah,, Pulaski county is loaded with bicycles.

Glad to see ya getting around to building of this frame.
Was thinking about you; when we stop in Berea .. on wsy to Ohio from Somerset.

Looking forward to seeing it when it's finished.

Oh yeah,, Pulaski county is loaded with bicycles.

Glad to see ya getting around to building of this frame.
Was thinking about you; when we stop in Berea .. on wsy to Ohio from Somerset.

Looking forward to seeing it when it's finished.
With the things going on in America and the rest of the world right now I'm not going to put tons of money in it but this will keep me occupied. The original paint is not terrible so I'm saving it. I can always paint it later if I want. I have most of the parts so I think I only need a set of taller handlebars, a front tire (which are ordered) and decals.

Latest posts

Back