2008 GT Peace 29er

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First foray into the world of 29ers been itchin` to get one, they say once you go... well anyway went in to Performance to pickup my rebuilt rear wheel with new hub for the FR bike and they had an extra $100 off the clearance price(prices go way up for 2009), done & done. Take that bad economy! Here she is freshly stripped of reflectors and safety stickers, can't wait for the trail tomorrow. I remember a local demo a long time ago with Gary Fisher pushing 29ers and scoffing at the idea, gulp, yeah crow tastes real good.

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg
IMG_0995.jpg

I have yet to feel cool enough to ride a fixie or a 29er, but then, I was the last one to give up bell bottoms also.Need a ride report. Looks awesome, enjoy
T

Around here, I think the fixie thing has already peaked judging by the quantity and cheapness of them on CL. Worst thing is you have to dress up a certain way and put the cards in the spokes etc to be "hip", otherwise you risk the fixie poser rep. I've tried fixies, meh, a pain in the butt if you ask me and took the fun completely out of screaming down hills & catching air.

Alot of the mtb guys around here are going SS on the 29ers, wasn't ready for that yet though. Can always convert it later if I get the urge, more likely go 2X9. Only thing I can see that needs replacing straightaway are the pedals, like old school clip jobs, need some modern shinburger CNC platform jobs. I'll give the saddle a shot but not sure about it either.

Very nice bike.

that is pretty sweet.

I'm thinking of throwing a 9-er on the front of my recently finished mtb. That's a suspension compensated front fork with loads of extra room. A 26" on the back and a 29 on the front might look cool

3228971122_c4184e6aba_b.jpg

There's alot of guys trying the 96er(or 69er depending on your take) option, Trek makes a sweet looking copper colored job. it'll have some geometry affects but hey it's all about trying something different. There's guys starting to mess with 650b formats also "B9ers"

lazy-img.php

I still don't know why they call them 29ers, they're just 700 (28inch) road rims, but I do like them. A lot of guys around here use them, have one set of wheels with MTB tires, and another set with road tires. Kinda like two bikes in one.

I think it's because the outer diameter of the tires is 29". The 700 use 622 rims which give 24.5 for a diameter, 700(27.5") in traditional road widths has a diamter of ~27.5"-28" so ~28er, the mtb version with its increased width is a min of 28.5 and alot are over 29", so 29er in these larger wiidths (WTB now has a 2.55" wide tire probably almost a 30er, not catchy though).

Measured mine at the max point ~29 1/4", couldn't photograph that but you can see below it would easily be 29" diameter

IMG_0989.jpg

The first pic reminds me of the early BIG FOOT monster truck, from the early 80's.

The more that things change, the more they stay the same.
Anyone remember the 24/26 bmx cruisers from SE, Cook Bros. and Mongoose in the 70's?
Anyone remember who wrote the opening line in my post? :mrgreen:

Just got a chance to ride one of these bikes the other day. The Salsa Fargo 29er. I think the color is bad, pea soup?
The ride was very comfortable, even in the drop bar position. Plus this bike has tons of frame boss's.

Salsa-Fargo_1-480-90-480-70.jpg

Wow, well stocked with frame bosses it is. Must be a roadie thing, I think most mtb'ers use a Camelbak or equivalent these days. When I was getting my GT some dude was whining how the bike he was looking at only had one set of frame bosses(GT only has one set also), I was thinking to myself that I couldn't even remember using one in the last 10 years or more. My FR bike has no bosses.

That's cool! I must admit I'm a fan of GT bikes. I had a XCR 2000 as a duel slalom bike a while back but sold it. I did try out a 29'er Karate Monkey late last year but the wife was with me so no money was exchanged. NIce bike Jack!

armandgil said:
That's cool! I must admit I'm a fan of GT bikes. I had a XCR 2000 as a duel slalom bike a while back but sold it. I did try out a 29'er Karate Monkey late last year but the wife was with me so no money was exchanged. NIce bike Jack!

Thanks man, after riding this thing for 2 months I must say that I have drank from the 29er Kool-Aid and it is good, these things absolutely rail singletrack and you can pedal up stuff so steep I don't think a 26er has enough contact patch to do! I did upgrade some components though; added a Thudbuster seatpost gives just enough cushion on rough uphills, Kenda Nevegals for the local steep gravel trails(stock Exiwolfs were not cutting it), Ergon grips cuz I get hand numbness otherwise, went 2X9 with a bash guard, and platform pedals. Still miss the 26 susser on rocky, fast downhills but that's about all.

IMG_1092.jpg

This post has me thinking about putting the rock shock and knobs back on my old 'goose. If the "9er" stuff was around when I got her, she'd probably have stayed in the rack. Too geezerly to make good use of it now.

The bike looks better with some dirt and new rubber on it. The 2x9 is also a cool modification.

DBoss

socal_jack said:
Wow, well stocked with frame bosses it is. Must be a roadie thing, I think most mtb'ers use a Camelbak or equivalent these days...

It's not a "roadie thing",it's the whole point of the Fargo...Adventure touring,on and off road,more than a roadie,mtn,or CX bike. And yeah,it has buttloads of H2O bosses :p

I think you'll dig the 2x9 setup,at least I do (on my Redline 29er). Nice bike,Bro,those Peace 9ers are way sweet,especially for the investment :D

Back