2018 VOLUME SLEDGEHAMMER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Stumbled across this new Klunker from Volume today...looks pretty cool.

http://volumebikes.com/product/2018-sledgehammer-26/

volume-bikes-2017-sledgehammer-26-bike.jpg

volume-bikes-2017-sledgehammer-26-bike-front-angle.jpg

38636_1024x1024.jpg

volume-bikes-2017-sledgehammer-26-bike-pedals.jpg

s780_sledge_rust_cassette.jpg

38642_1024x1024.jpg

s1600_sledge_rust_front.jpg

slegde-dirt-fall-620x500.jpg

Klunkers are built, not bought. Get that that integrated-headset-wearing, disc-brake-runnin', negative--BB-drop-sporting, LBS-sourced posermobile off my lawn!!!

tumblr_oh4j0sWe2T1rfd7lko1_500.gif
:crazy::crazy::crazy::grin:
Not exactly my thoughts, but...
I have questions. Is the right rear wheel bearing and spoke flange in the middle of the hub/axle? Is that one of those crappy modern super thin one way chains? How many microns of dirt can the front tire accumulate before it jams your face into the ground? :39:

Maxxis Holy Roller tires are that bike's best feature. Not my first choice for a klunker, but they make a nice all-around tire for cruising that may include trails....

The dish on that wheel seems to be about standard for modern MTB rears. There will be bearings in both ends of the driver, as well as the NDS bearings in the usual spot....

The chain and front sprocket are narrow-wide design, which is good b/c 1x10 drivetrains are dumber than a sack of hammers, unless you have a way to keep the chain from dropping. Narrow-wide chains and sprockets are great for that but, yes, they are meant to be directional.... it is the same thickness as a standard 10-speed chain. The narrow-wide bits do cost more, and 10speed chains do stretch more quickly, due to the thinner construction

Well...fortunately I already have Sledgehammer and Hessian in my CL search terms, so no need to update. But, I'm pretty sure it will be near 10 years before I see one in my price range :headbang:. I agree with scrumblero in that my biggest disappointment in this bike is the lack of horizontal, or sliding (like the Sawyer), dropouts.

Heck, I'm still waiting on my bargain Sawyer to show up...and waiting, and waiting, and...

Jason

Back