26" wheel on 27" bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 70's vintage 10 speed bike with 27" tires and wheels. I want to put 26" tires and wheels on it. The old brakes (center pulls) don't reach the wheel. Are the brakes for a 26" wheel longer reach, or would the mount need to be re located? Thanks.

I measured the old tire today amd the outside diameter when inflated is 28". Does that make this a 28" tire and not a 27"? Unfortunatly the old sidewall is so decayed I cant make out the size of it, only that it took 60psi of air.

There are some fairly long side-pulls out there, but probably not that long. 700c rims are a common update for 27" bikes, you might want to consider it. Or this- http://sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html
From your new post, you may already have 700c rims, or some ancient 28"s, hard to say from here.

Thanks, this tire/wheel size thing is confusing me. I'm used to car wheels where the rim size is the thing you measure. The Sheldon Brown bracket is what I was guessing I would need to do, good to hear that it works well before making them. I'm thinking swapping to the 26" tire rim may be my best solution (one of my wheels is already missing).

Bike tire sizing is completely different from car sizing, and if you're used to one, you're bound to be confused by the other. With bike tires, the diameter stated is the outside overall diameter of the tire. But the confusing part is that it only represents the outside of the "standard" or most common width of the tire for a given wheel size. So, a 26" x 2.125" tire is actually about 26" in diameter. But if you take the same wheel and mount a 1.75" wide tire on it, the actual size is more like 25". However, the size is still labeled "26x1.75"... The key is to look for the ISO sizing (559mm on 26"x2.125", 630 on a 27") on the tire and keep that the same from width to width.

Regarding going from a 27" wheel size to a 26" balloon tire size, I did that myself with a Schwinn Varsity. See here:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=52952
I used a fork for a 26" wheel with cantilever brake bosses and a very long reach caliper in the rear.

Latest posts

Back