2nd generation Schwinn you say? *new pics added*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That was all the ad said. 2nd Generation. I had no idea because of a lack of pics and a lack of price but it was in my neighborhood so I wrote. Waited 6 days got the reply that they had lowered the price. Still no pics or what the lowered price was. Still I replied asking for both one more time and got the the answers. 2nd generation meant a Re-pop and she wanted the princely sum of $50.00 for it. Here are the pics.

photo 1 by buck50sdelt, on Flickr

Scwhinn re-pop by buck50sdelt, on Flickr

I have some questions maybe some of you could help me with. Year? 96-99? I have read a few different things today about similar bikes. Is the tail brake light stock? The Flared lip fenders stock too? It has a black pug in the back of the forks, is that where a lock would be? Could be? Is it a lubrication point of some kind? Is the value in this bike in the parts or keeping it together?

Thanks for the help on this one!

Re: 2nd generation Schwinn you say?

You bought that for 50 bucks?!?!?

I just threw up. (I mean that in the best possible way). Seriously, I can't think of a better buy recently for a mere $50.

Nice job. :mrgreen:

Tailwinds said:
You bought that for 50 bucks?!?!?

I just threw up. (I mean that in the best possible way). Seriously, I can't think of a better buy recently for a mere $50.

Nice job. :mrgreen:

Thank you for throwing up in the best possible way! HA! Any other way would just be a waste! :mrgreen: These went for a couple hunert' bucks when they were new right? I stopped riding about the time they started remaking these Schwinns + Columbias. Being away for so long I don't know if they held any value. I do know a crappy springer at the bike shop cost the same or more so I feel like I did alright.

There is lots of money to be made on that one from parts! But for $50.00 bucks? Why would you want too? You are not likely to make another score like that! But, since you asked, I will do my best to answer. Yes, the springer is set-up to accept a lock mechanism. You would have to have the "tab inside the steerer tube to engage the special bottom bearing cup to make it work properly though.If that stem has the AS bolts, its an easy $30.00 bucks, that lighted Phantom rack is an easy $50.00 or more, the springer is an easy $75.00 to $100.00, chrome tank w/horn, probably another $100.00. And you still have many other parts to sell as well. :wink:

Hard to tell from the photo's, but it looks as though you have the De luxe (bottle cap) type pedals as well, Mo Money! Re-Pop S-2 wheels? Typhoon cord tires? Cha Ching!!!!!! :mrgreen:

I have the exact same bike same color and all but mine doesnt have the rear rack light but has a fender reflector the owner bought at the schwinn dealer he says its a schwinn part :) but mines had its tires changed, I paid $125 for mine and love cruisin it around nice find! and yes the plug in the fork is for a fork lock. as far as ive found these were 95ish made bikes there cheaper versions of the "phantom" repops the frames are china made not like the phantom repops but he fork is a repop, all the as bolts, stem, pedals are just like the phantom repops the frame, wheels, seat, crank are different

$50 :shock: Spawny git! (as we say over here)
Cool score. Well done :mrgreen:

Slick Rick said:
Hard to tell from the photo's, but it looks as though you have the De luxe (bottle cap) type pedals as well, Mo Money! Re-Pop S-2 wheels? Typhoon cord tires? Cha Ching!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info. I've attached a few more photos (I shoulda run a comb thru her hair before I shot the pics. Lookin a little dirty :oops: )~

close up by buck50sdelt, on Flickr

photo 5 by buck50sdelt, on Flickr

111111 by buck50sdelt, on Flickr

photo 2 by buck50sdelt, on Flickr

photo 1 by buck50sdelt, on Flickr

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
50 bucks!!!! :shock: Holy cow, you've got yourself a MEGA score 8)

Thanks! I had a feeling it was gonna be something good going into the whole email dance with the seller :!: If I was going have to buy this from someone who knew what they had what do you think I'd have to pay? Not only am I just curious I feel the need to justify the buy to the "Boss". She is so very very tolerating and even enthusiastic about bikes but space is at a premium here in the apt.

heyslugger said:
If I was going have to buy this from someone who knew what they had what do you think I'd have to pay? Not only am I just curious I feel the need to justify the buy to the "Boss".

They come up on Stl CL occassionally, and always in the $400 range in very good looking condition. That's not the price I would pay, but without fail, they're always gone from CL within just a couple of days so I'd say that's gotta be close to the market price around here.... but around here is a funny place.

Tailwinds said:
heyslugger said:
If I was going have to buy this from someone who knew what they had what do you think I'd have to pay? Not only am I just curious I feel the need to justify the buy to the "Boss".

.... but around here is a funny place.

Well played!

Oh and as for the wad of cash, I opened it up and found not a bit of rust. So that's kinda like cash, not in hand but in the bank!

If you are going to part it, I have an interesting trade in mind.A cycle lock kit brings the value of that fork way up. I have an un-opened 95 re-pop cycle lock kit w/directions. I would love to trade you straight across for those pedals. LMK if your interested. Later & PEACE!!!!! :wink:

The flared fenders should be original to the bike,I have a schwinn cruiser classic my parents bought me in 97 for graduating high school and it has the same type fenders. However I also remember looking at other models in the store that had regular non flared fenders.

Slick Rick said:
If you are going to part it, I have an interesting trade in mind.A cycle lock kit brings the value of that fork way up. I have an un-opened 95 re-pop cycle lock kit w/directions. I would love to trade you straight across for those pedals. LMK if your interested. Later & PEACE!!!!! :wink:

Let me play with it a little first. Polish it up some and decide what I am gonna do with it. I'll give you dibs.

I think it's a '98. It shows some of the repop phantom parts, and it has the flared fenders. I know the cruiser deluxe didn't sport a tank until '97. I bought one in '96 (I was 12) after saving my allowance for forever only to have the tank version come out the next year. Man was I bummed. But the '97 models didn't have the horn version of the tank, flared fenders, or any of the nice repop stuff because it wasn't out yet.

Wes

I bought my repop tank separate from my cruiser deluxe. The tank did not come with a horn but just a button in place to fill the hole. Will a horn work in this type? I was wanting to buy one of those replacements on eBay that say they fit the schwinns.

Latest posts

Back