3G wheels. Opinions?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been searching for some cool wide rimmed wheels (2"-2.5" not the 4" monsters) and I came across 3G. Are their wheels pretty good? Price for a single speed wheelset seems like one of the best I've found. Will I regret buying a set?

Any other suggestions for an affordable yet quality 2" wheel set? $150 is ballpark affordable in my world.:crazy:

We have been selling wheels with the kt hubs for over 7 years and have no issues... we build 700c wheels with them. We can build you 2" wide wheels in black, red anodized, gold anodized, or silver with silver or black center.. ( spokes , nipples, hubs) ... google my user name...

I have had 3 sets of the 3G wheels, bought here. I put the most miles on a copper 26" set. Along with looking good, I liked the light weight and the ability to use 2.125 tires and not have to modify the frame. As for the KT hubs, they aren't the most expensive, but I had no problem with them. I always lube and adjust anything I get to make sure they are just right though.

34rjgyc.jpg

Obviously I'm a bit biased since I sell the 3G wheel sets, but the quality is nice and I've run a few sets of them over the years without any issues.

Your biggest concern will be fitting them on your bike. You shouldn't have any trouble if you run 2.125" tires on a frame and fork set originally designed for 2.125" tires, but middleweight bikes designed to run 1.75" tires could be an issue.

3G stands behind their products and Gary is pretty obsessed with quality. He sells a ton of his bikes with the 57mm wheel sets to shops that use them as rentals.

KTs work, but they tend to fail a bit early. For JRA they're fine, so long as you keep your expectations low.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna give 'em a shot. Sounds like they should be fine for cruisin' da hood and any paths nearby.

I bought a set of the 2 speed kickback wide ones for my Red Baron and I love 'em!
rbf8.jpg

The brakes work great and they shift smoothly and dependably. They've survived a year in Philly unscathed. I did readjust the cones when I first got them, but since then it's been smooth sailing. :cool2:

Last edited:
I bought a set of the 2 speed kickback wide ones for my Red Baron and I love 'em! the brakes work great and they shift smoothly and dependably. They've survived a year in Philly unscathed. I did readjust the cones when I first got them, but since then it's been smooth sailing. :cool2:

Yeah, and they look hott on that bike, too, Cam....

I have had several sets of 3g wheels and never had a problem. The hubs aren't the best as said above but the front have never had an issue. The rears get changed out with a Nexus 3speed hub immediately so I don't know how they hold up.

Back