4'' wide rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a set of the 4'' wide x 26 rims from CyclesUS. Does anybody know offhand the spoke length to lace them? Don't say use a spoke calculator, because they won't be here for a while , and it would be nice to be able to order spokes that would come at the same time. Thanks. :wink:

Do you know what hubs you are using? If you can get the hub measurments I could figure out a rough ERD and get the measure close (unless the website tells you the ERD)

EDIT- I'm guessing you need to use the fat hubs for those. Without knowing the flange diameter from spoke hole to spoke hole it will be tough. They give the locknut-locknut dimensions, but nothing else. I didn't see anything about the rim diameter either.

I was hoping someone that had used the same setup would know. Man there are only two 26x4 tires , unless I missed some. The endomorph for $99 a piece and some with a spider tread , that I'm waiting to see what they cost. Maybe I should have passed on the 4'' wide rims. I need to check with Galtbacken and see if he knows how to make tires. He can build anything. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I get them I may trot down to the local motorcycle shop and see what they have that will cross over. I think I looked once and motorcycle tires are just 21''. It may not be a bicycle measurement though.

I remember seeing people run 26"x3" on 4" rims (cbn?). They used two tubes, and had a wicked low profile.

As for spoke length, I can't help without some measurements.

NO WAY! I didn't even know they made these! They are awesome![/quote]
They make the ones that are 24'' x 4'' . I always wondered why everybody used them. They make several 4'' wide tires to fit them.

Korporal said:
I remember seeing people run 26"x3" on 4" rims (cbn?). They used two tubes, and had a wicked low profile.

As for spoke length, I can't help without some measurements.
Yeah I have several 26 x 3 tires and I hope they will work till I find something bigger.

I measured my 21" motorcycle wheel and 26" bike wheel. They "appear" to be .... close at right around 22" across.

That would open up some possibilities , except motorcycle tires aren't cheap either . I can't wait to get mine. I bet with all the people ordering stuff, the shipping is going to be really slow. :cry:

I see a lot of 2.35" tires mounted too.

4inwithcrazybobtire.jpg

I think whatever you get on one with those wide rims will look good. I'm excited...wish they were here already. :lol:
I just wish somebody had a set put together and could tell me what the length of the spokes is on them.

Hey Clancy as straight as those sidewalls are , I'm betting they are 3'' wide rims. After a lot of rethinking , the 3'' would have been a better choice. The part that threw me off was I bought a built set with the 3 speed nexus too ,and I was thinking if I bought another set that were just 1/2'' wider it might not make sense. So I did the overkill. :oops: :oops:

I checked and they are 2.56 wide on the large marge....and about twice as expensive. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Arreaux said:
I see a lot of 2.35" tires mounted too.

4inwithcrazybobtire.jpg

That bike is sick! Love the way you mounted the seat. How does she ride?

for 4" rims you need strumey-archer wide 3speed hub from choppersUS (if you want 3 speeds), with shimano nexus start problems with chainline.
tires - any from 2.5 wide (or maybe from 2.35 like schwalbe crazy bob, but I would not advise)
i bought only 24x4 rims, 26x4 i think is too big.
and sorry i know spokes lenght for 24" wheels only(
here in europe people used 24" rims basically, 26" for thin wheels.
ask Alan, he must knows

Back