'40's - '50s Schwinns

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought these bikes today. The one with the white chainguard and "Ace" head badge dated 7/14/49 by serial# might be an Autocycle (B6?). I would probably restore it as such.The 12 hole rack has me stumped. The other bike dated 11/01/55 by serial# looks to be a Phantom missing rack,tank, fenders, wrong crank sprocket and wrong front wheel. Any thoughts on these would be appreciated.
IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

Those appear to be some mixed up parts bikes to me. The crank sprocket on the one with no rack isn't Schwinn.

The one with the rack doesn't look like a Schwinn frame to me. The top tube where it meets the seat tube doesn't seem right to me. I could be wrong though.

The rack on your '49 is Murray built. Wrong maker and wrong vintage... would you like to sell it?

Those frames could have been B607's or maybe B507's which are the unequiped models. You'll never know for sure so you could build either a B6 or a B17 Phantom around either frame. Gary

dougfisk said:
The rack on your '49 is Murray built. Wrong maker and wrong vintage... would you like to sell it?
Why yes I would.I see that it's c. 1941. PM me with offer. Evidently B6 racks are expensive!
I was thinking the '49 probably wasn't a Phantom just because of the Ace head badge. Interesting that all the Schwinns I see on the net with an Ace head badge are straight bar frames. I don't think an oval Schwinn badge will fit with the screw spacing. I already put a brass oval badge on the '55.

I guess I never noticed that the older Schwinn cantilever bikes had such a different alignment at the seat tube.

also if it dates back to 49 wouldnt it have to be schwinn as they had the patent on cantilever frames until 1958 then everyone started making them. right?

Check your '55 frame and see if it's a middleweight or a ballooner. You can do this by inserting 3 fingers into the triangle formed by the upper seat stays where they meet the seat tube. Compare it to the other older frame you have.
The rack on the older bike is exactly the same as the rack on my late 30's girls Elgin. Gary
DSC04075.jpg

They're both dirty - they take three fingers up to the knuckles. :shock: The original pic when I bought them shows the '55 with 26 X 1.75 tires but they're both the same size frames. Thanks for the tip on checking frame sizes!
I have the Elgin rack FS in the FS section.

Back