40s CWC build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got some time to get to my '38 (or so) Schwinn I bought some mos. back [correction: it's a 40s CWC]. I'm not exactly clear what yr it is but the serial # is C89578. If anyone knows, please chime in! Pretty solid frame to start with though. The forks that came with it look to be Ashtabula and had to be cut down a little. I tried sanding it 1st and possibly going with a stressed patina look, but it didn't work out :roll: Anyway, here's what it looked like on my stand...

I found a powder coater near me that would blast & PC the frame & forks gloss black for $100 and couldn't pass it up!!! That's why I'm not in the build-off since it pretty much DQ's me.

So the rest of the parts list includes some Sta-Tru aluminum wheels, Quick brick tires, original crank with a chainring from a member here, nickel chain, Wellgo mag pedals, truss rods from one of my other bikes, new headset, Al's handlebars, badge from ebay, Brooks saddle & grips, and of course a slowriders layback seat post :D It's my 1st real build & I'm happy that it rides great too!

Re: Prewar Schwinn build

They will probably say a Roadmaster or something. You chose some nice parts and
it looks really good.

Uncle Stretch said:
They will probably say a Roadmaster or something. You chose some nice parts and
it looks really good.

Thank you uncle stretch. It was fun & I learned a lot.

Nice looking bike Lewie...I agree though, it isn't a Schwinn...although that is a killer badge. The front fork and trusses look Schwinn though...The frame is a CWC built frame. Stretch is probably right...Roadmaster or something along the lines. Compare it to my Military bike. I am guessing they are very close. Personally I like the CWC frames over the Schwinn...not to mention they are easier to find tanks at reasonable prices if you want to go that direction.

Terry66 said:
Nice looking bike Lewie...I agree though, it isn't a Schwinn...although that is a killer badge. The front fork and trusses look Schwinn though...The frame is a CWC built frame. Stretch is probably right...Roadmaster or something along the lines. Compare it to my Military bike. I am guessing they are very close. Personally I like the CWC frames over the Schwinn...not to mention they are easier to find tanks at reasonable prices if you want to go that direction.

Thanks Terry! I appreciate the info too. It's now my "Schwinn badged CWC" :lol: I knew it was a bit of a hodgepodge of parts when I bought it but I liked how the frame & forks looked. The trusses are Schwinn since I took them off an unmolested Schwinn parts bike. I'm thinking about going with a tank on my next project 8)

After another look, I think your bike has a curved bottom tube where mine was straight. I think that makes yours a bit older and makes finding a tank a little more difficult. :D

I'll keep my eyes out for you on a prewar tank frame. The only thing I have is a '41 Huffman tanker. Honestly I wouldn't suggest it as a potential rat build...it is more of a resto project. It is complete with the tank, rack, springer, etc.

Very classy bike 8) ....looks like it's a blast to ride as well!

sleepy said:
Very classy bike 8) ....looks like it's a blast to ride as well!

Thanks sleepy! I've been saying "stay classy San Diego" this weekend for some reason :lol: It is fun to ride!

Back