41'Westfield / Davega sporting goods NYC

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found this on e bay at the end of June , totally coated in house paint rusty etc. , but could see potential

81201.jpg

81209.jpg

81204.jpg

used the laquer thinner to uncover this gem

002.jpg

003.jpg

after two layers of red and gold paint

004.jpg
final result

iphone123.jpg
very cool

iphone119.jpg

iphone115.jpg

I never would have believed it without your pics. I will call your work "The Best Save of the Summer". :) Well done! Gary

yes , hard to believe it's the same bike .Sorry some of the restorstion pics are not too great, used a laquer thinner found at hardware store to slowly remove old paint there was actually two layers red , then gold .The laquer thinner will take of the old house paint, but if you are careful will not damage the original . The right side of the tank had been stripped and primered ,so I repainted that to match all else original, went through 50 or so rags over three days a very slow process , but well worth it .The two layers of paint seemed pretty old and I think actually helped to preserve what was underneath.

also wanted to add that I had to replace the original wheels for now , they were in rough shape . I hope to be able to rebuild them down the road , to preserve the New Departure hub etc. those are the tires that came with the bike , they have "special LHR balloon tyre " written on the side wall , but made in taiwan . I think they could be from the '60s maybe , the good thing is I just filled them up with air and off I went!!!

That is SWEET! I have an older Westfield built motobike with the same name:
collection3011.jpg
Sitting on balloon rims here but it should have 28"s.
CRIM0012.jpg

Apparently Reggie McNamara was a board track racer from Australia and raced in the 20s. -adam

That's cool , Davega was a sporting goods store in the NYC area that went bankrupt in the early ,60s. you should read the bio on Reggie Mcnamara ,very interesting , one of the first ironman atheletes

Will try to take some better pictures and post them later, on a funny side note the first time I took the bike out for a ride , I rode about 10 feet and the right bolt flew off the front wheel . luckily my girlfriend found it , 1/2 hour of roadside repair I was back pedalling , 10 minutes later , fell off again on a bridge(metric bolts on an imperial sized axle I realized later) she found the bolt again next to a pond I almost fell into retrieving it , good eyes !!The ride ended here, thankfully as it was total crap , the bike was not ready for the road , banging , scraping etc. my gal is extremely patient putting up with my stubborness :)

Old thread, but still cool how well that house paint preserved this beauty.

Back