'47 cwc western flyer "Derelict" hood ride.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: the beginning of a modernized rat rod '47 cwc western flyer

Ta-da 39mm wide 26" double wall alex dx32's (super strong) Mocked up to some 26x2.0 kenda kwick rollers
20131105_231908_zps61d5d2aa.jpg

Just waiting on my sturmey archer x-fd 70mm front hub then I can start prepping the frame.

Thanks guys. I was originally going to take my stolen cranks of my dirt jump for this. Then replace those with profile racing but thought my wife would kill me.

HxCforever said:
After a nice dip in some rust remover and some polishing with a 2" wire disc. Back to new
20131003_222507_zpse9cbfaac.jpg

Excellent stem. Beautiful resto!

SlyRed

Thank you.

The mailman dropped of this today. 70mm 36h sturmey archer x-fd front drum brake.

Dropped the wheels off at my lbs to be built. On the way home i stopped off at autozone to pick this up. Since i really liked my kwick rollers but i wanted a white stripe.

Debating if i want to paint the braking surface black or not?

Skipton said:
Looks good now but IMHO all black would look killer!

:wink: I only did one tire at the moment and thinking about shooting some black on it fast.

HxCforever said:
Skipton said:

:wink: I only did one tire at the moment and thinking about shooting some black on it fast.

I like the white strip on the tire... I do like the idea of the rim being all black

Keep up the great work!

Skipton said:
HxCforever said:
Skipton said:

I like the white strip on the tire... I do like the idea of the rim being all black

Keep up the great work!

Thank you and agreed.
20131116_202411_zpse7f5bb21.jpg

Mock-up monday. After useing a 1/4 can of pb blaster and a little patience I busted loose the headset, chain tension screws.
20131118_1155480_zps44bc332c.jpg

I still need to paint the back rim so this is a mock up with my old dm18.

That looks killer. 8)

TuckTuck said:
That looks killer. 8)

Thank you. I'm debating if i want to ruff up the fork and spray it a bit with my rusting solution or not. I like how it is now a little better shape then the frame. Giving it a bit of mismatched look but maybe a little more aged. Since the fork was from a 60's ladies middle weight.

junkiestone said:
What's up with the rusty Mice??? Waiting to see where those come into play.
They were originally for between the bars but there a tad to big so a little unclear at the moment.

Nice frame, interesting build-up. Just my own opinion, but I think however you have to make a choice about using that fork as-is or painting the whole frame/fork combo. This mis-match thing is difficult to pull off. IMO it looks like you had a wreck and went to the junkyard to get a new door on your car... Just sayin' it looks unfinished. (The new sidewall of the front rim looks good, why not just paint the whole bike black? )

I'm struggling with my own "patina" issues on the '41 ladies WF, but I have a matching frame and fork. I feel like if you start to (re)paint, you have to keep going, so yes it's a difficult equilibrium to strike. New components on old frames are fine but there needs to be a balance of matched and mismatched, I feel.

Back