50, Skinny, and Single

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A new goodie arrived via carrier pigeon last night. Pack some snacks for the road...

20221017_091943.jpg

20221017_091929.jpg

20221017_092015.jpg

20221017_091855.jpg

I ride through this adjacent neighborhood on my way to the shops I frequent; hardware store, music and bike shop. It is linked to ours by this neat and scenic pathway, this shot taken just a week ago on our morning walk.

20221014_100934.jpg

It's basically a spider web of cul-de-sacs, and at each end they have these loops with a vintage looking street lamp post and island of trees. A development 10-15 yrs newer than ours, and very well done. Most of the homes have been built since 2000, it's called New Century, and the main road that leads to it has been around for a hundred years; Century Boulevard. You have to love the serendipity!

20221022_072559.jpg

20221022_072720.jpg

I was so busy checking up on RRB, that I missed the optimal timing for these street lamp shots. I'll head back out at dusk tonight and try to catch a couple more.

Thanks guys! We live in Maplewood, in the Highwood neighborhood, and the next city east is Woodbury. So, lots of woods, and beautiful trees.

This bike is so smooth. The sealed bearing wheels are silent, and that supple steel frame sucks up all the small bumps.

I was paging through the on-line version of the 1971 Schwinn Catalog this morning. The '70s were truly a skinny-tired and drop-barred kind of decade. Sure, there were carry overs from the '50s and '60s with their wider tires, and the muscly Sting Rays, and the very cool 24" Manta Ray were still featured. But the first 2/3 of the catalog, at least, was all about skinny tires and non-cruiser bars.

I did find out that the Schwinn Racer model, the one I'm modifying / rat rodding for the Skinny Wheel BO, was first introduced in 1933. My mods are actually returning it closer to it's original roots when you look at the specs from the catalog:

1933 Schwinn Racer.jpg

So I guess ....

mod·i·fy
/ˈmädəˌfī/
- transform (a structure) from its original anatomical form during development or evolution

...isn't exactly what I am doing with this 50 yr old model. Going back towards the 'original' original, this build is more of a re-presentation of what the early years in the '30s were for the Racer.

50 ss 1.jpg

And the page from the 1971 Schwinn catalog for the Racer....

1971_schwinn_racer.jpg

I wonder if Schwinn had any idea that there would be 'big kids' playing around with their bikes 50 years after they left the production line?

1971_schwinn_guarantee 1.jpg

Of course, that last line on the 'No-Time-Limit Guarantee' excludes us rat rodders. Unless you happen to be a Franchised Schwinn Dealer....does working for one count? Back in the day, Penn Cycle, the company that built the bike shop I currently work at and was employed by Penn seasonally 2001- 04, and again in 2017-19 before we changed ownership; were at one time in their early years, the #1 Schwinn Dealership in the world.

When they sold their franchise a couple years ago to our current owner, Freewheel Bike, I asked Pat whose dad started the business in their family garage in 1957 to supplement his income as an airline mechanic, if I could look through any memorabilia and posters / banners that he or his siblings didn't claim. He was happy to oblige and I ended up with a couple of treasures. One is this banner that hangs in the BACK40 , behind my 1977 Sting Ray build I did for a Muscle Bike BO a few years ago.

"Thank You for making Penn Cycle the #1 Dealership in the World"

penn #1 dealership.jpg

Latest posts

Back