50's Schwinn Rat-Rod Boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 50's Schwinn Rat-Rod Boardtracker

It is a powersports alternator off a small kubota 26hp vtwin. I can post the part number next time I'm at the shop. There should be room in front of the rear tire for a tool box with a small jell battery with a regulator and a rectifier head light tail light blinkers and a horn should all run off it with no problems. This way i lose no spark energy from try to use the motors system to run it all as well as fire off the spark plug. I've been looking in to a small fuel injection system as well. Just to say " oh yeah it's fuel injected to!!"

If you go to a Electrical Machinacal that fixes alternators they have a cataolg of all different alternators. In verious sizes and shaps,most are 15 amp and are free spin so they don't take mush power to use..............Curt

Stop right there....do not finish this project! Pack it up and send it to Montana immediately...the fate of the free world is at stake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, I love this build, nice work man! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks flyer!! It does have some drag since it is a permanent magnet alternator but if space becomes a issue I can choose to not run a battery and it will produce more then enough power to run everything with it causing the dimming flickering headlight you get with most generator set ups .

Sounds like a cool build. How come i cant view the photos? Are they visible to anyone else? :cry:

I would just run a small capacitor instead of a battery. That way it'll hold a small charge for a short period of time (at stop lights). They should be plentiful.

I just pulled the head to check the gasket everything seems to be in good order. I scrubbed all the carbon of the piston and valves pretty much just cleaned the combustion chamber up.
62mm bore and a 55mm stroke. Ends up at 166cc or 10 Cubic inches. Perfect for the fuel injection kit from http://www.ecotrons.com/Small_Engine_EFI_PNP_kit.html .
Any one ever used it?
Just a quick update got the engine I'd it's a Clinton 498 4.5hp got all the rebuild stuff ordered up and on its way. Got the intake done to set the carb level
ba8unu7y.jpg
ru9ejy9y.jpg

Fuel injected! :shock: = Mind blown!!! That kit looks epic! should fit right in with your epic build, great job so far, I absolutely love the bead rolled tank!... I cant say I have ever heard of anyone running the FE system, but I can only imagine the possibilities. Please let us know how it works out. I would love to put one on a morini!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had a Pro-Tools 105. I sold it since a buddy gave me his home built "trike plans" type bender.

Every time I use it, I smile!

I like your alternator location, I've got one of these too and was planning on mounting it above the clutch on the seat tube but might change my mind now. Everything else is looking great also.

It runs! Got it started using the kick start. It works better than I expected it to.
eresu3ut.jpg
yza5abub.jpg
ujatebej.jpg

The alternator is putting out all kinds of power. The centrifugal clutch wasn't even engaging yet and it was already putting out almost 20 V ac. My buddy is building a bridge rectifier to convert it to DC. I don't think a flickering headlight is going to be much of a concern

The tank is it aluminum or stainless? realy like it ..............as well as the rest of the bike............Curt

Back