58 Schwinn Jaguar - The Cadillac

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am the third owner of this bike. the first owner owned an auto garage and gave the bike to his painter for free. The worker was not really interested in it but repainted it and polished up the chrome and decided to sell it by posting an add in a bike store he frequented. That bike store mentioned it to me because they knew I was heavily into vintage bikes. I didn't want another bike at the moment cause I was putting money aside for baby items, but i went to see it anyway because a friend from the schwinn club was interested in an all original schwinn. The guy wanted 450.00 but i told him i wanted to pay 200.00. he gave it to me for 275.00 which i easily figured was more than reasonable for a near perfect resto. I had originally wanted to sell it on ebay and make a little profit but it grew on me. This is how i got it.
IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

I couldn't stand the original handlebars and stem so I set them aside and put on some wider vintage 1959 handle bars and a old racing stem.
I changed the wheels and tires for some heavy duty rims and cream quick bricks which made the bike color pop. the horn works now (not too much in the cold) and the light also,which i haven't put back on yet. Im still thinking of selling it to get a nirve chopper but cant bring myself to it. Simple and classy. It's an eye-catcher where ever i take it. Enjoy.
IMG_1606-1.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

Re: 58 Schwinn jaguar

Dan Jose said:
Thanks guy's. Still some minor things left to do but this bike, I call it the Cadillac mostly. 8)

you could always add a cadillac headbadge on it too :D

2837061366_6560e145d2.jpg

The Caddy's dope. How tight are those tires to the frame and fenders? No rubbing? I wanna get wider tires for my Columbia, but I tried some that were 2.3 and they were too big. What size are quick bricks again?

Bettleguise said:
The Caddy's dope. How tight are those tires to the frame and fenders? No rubbing? I wanna get wider tires for my Columbia, but I tried some that were 2.3 and they were too big. What size are quick bricks again?

Get the quick bricks, They are 2.125 but are a little larger and look better than the standard 2.125. And i spread the fenders a bit so i dont rub when i turn corners.

Re: 58 Schwinn jaguar

CCR said:
Dan Jose said:
Thanks guy's. Still some minor things left to do but this bike, I call it the Cadillac mostly. 8)

you could always add a cadillac headbadge on it too :D

2837061366_6560e145d2.jpg

NIIICE. 8)

HotRodJen said:
i like what you did with it alot suttle but made a big differnce :)

Yeah i thought it was a bit ugly when i first got it, but so much more fun to ride now.

That's a real beaut. The color & the new tires are what really make the bike. Do you mean the guy who gave it to the guy you bought it from is the original owner? IMHO, you shouldn't sell it.

emanon said:
That's a real beaut. The color & the new tires are what really make the bike. Do you mean the guy who gave it to the guy you bought it from is the original owner? IMHO, you shouldn't sell it.

To your answer , yes that what I meant. About a day ago i tried to trade it in for a near mint sears screamer 5spd, the guy backed out today. :|

twas meant to be. you should keep it. or give it to me. :wink: :mrgreen:

There's no way I would trade that for a Sears spider, but I guess it all depends on what you're in to. Will the rack brace not bolt to the inside? Is that how it's supposed to be? :?

deorman said:
There's no way I would trade that for a Sears spider, but I guess it all depends on what you're in to. Will the rack brace not bolt to the inside? Is that how it's supposed to be? :?

Yeah you're right. I got it like this and wanted to correct it but since it was put on the outside it scratched the paint a bit so i didn't want that to show and left it like that. As for the screamer I got one recently so I'll probably be keeping this for a while.

Back