60's Sears Cruiser Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just picked this up thursday... what do ya think?
IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

hey spokesmen... remember the light?

That is a very clean bicycle. That style frame (Murray cantilever) was used on Jc Higgins bicycles old by Sears beginning some time in '61 I believe, and not on all models. Being that yours is badged "Sears" it was very likely made from '64-'67. What seems interesting is that while the framer is Murray, the forks appear to be Columbia/Westfield.

NICE find!

Unchained said:
That is a very clean bicycle. That style frame (Murray cantilever) was used on Jc Higgins bicycles old by Sears beginning some time in '61 I believe, and not on all models. Being that yours is badged "Sears" it was very likely made from '64-'67. What seems interesting is that while the framer is Murray, the forks appear to be Columbia/Westfield.

NICE find!
I've seen that style fork with that same paint/stars on a few different sears/higgins badged murrays, both men and womens. But either way, it's a nice complete bike that has survived very well! Like someone kept it in a bomb shelter and forgot about it til you got it!

BrigmasterA said:
Unchained said:

NICE find!
I've seen that style fork with that same paint/stars on a few different sears/higgins badged murrays, both men and womens. But either way, it's a nice complete bike that has survived very well! Like someone kept it in a bomb shelter and forgot about it til you got it!

I stand corrected: I just learned today that the Westfield/Columbia fork crowns of the same years are almost identical to those of some Murray forks. :oops: Sorry for that mistake.

I've seen that style fork with that same paint/stars on a few different sears/higgins badged murrays
I believe it goes back to the teens, when Sears advertised "Four Star Elgins". They used the stars on the forks thru the JC Higgins era, and into the 60s, obviously. Columbia came out with it's Three and Five star Deluxe models in the 50s. And, Westfield made the lion's share of Elgins up to around 1938, when Murray pretty much took over. All that being said, WOW! That's one spectacular Sears! ~Adam

Nice! You kinda woke an old thread with your post, might be better to start a new thread for your ride. However, your thread revival DID bring me that absolutely magnificent Sears above, so I guess you dun good!
Hey old stuff is good right! Lol
I will probably start a new thread tho. But man I'm glad I found this one.
My bike isn't in such pristine condition, but it is definitely the same model. I'm frigging excited.

Back