62 Schwinn middle weight rim options?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I just picked up a 62' Schwinn American yesterday and and want to get right to work on it! I think the first thing I want to tackle are the wheels. It is in desperate need of tires at least, but after finding out there are limited selections for 24" S7 rims, my rear rim looking to have a crack in it and the front rim looking to have been replaced with an unknown (I can't tell if it's an S7 or regular). So I'm wondering if I can just re-string the wheels with a standard (non-S7) rim so I have more tire options and was also wondering if I could fit a 26" rim on this bike. The hub is a triple red band kickback and has 28 spokes. Thanks for any insight into my dilemma!
photo.jpg

Cool Bike!
I don't think you will be able to fit a 26" tire in that frame. Niagara cycle sells 24" S7 tires, but you could ptobably find a rim that matches the front and lace your 2 speed kickback into it. If you want to stay OG you might be able to find a front S7.
Post a WTB in the clalsifieds and somebody might be able to hook you up.

sweet bike !!! and hold on to that kickback hub, the 28h hubs are really desirable ($$$) for stingrays.

should be 24" s-7s originally

and im just guessing that the front wheel has been replaced, looks like a dropcenter rim to me. id just relace the wheels with new rims and buy some standard size 24" tires for it. i know kenda/pyramid makes a cheap 24" x 1.75" whitewall that looks and rides really good !

24" rims are hard to find for some reason. :roll:

cman said:

He has to use 24" S-7 rims. Generic 24" rims won't work...it's a Schwinn you know. :roll: They will work, but they are a smaller dia. and there will be a gap between the tire and fender. Here's a pic of a 24" Schwinn with generic rims. Upside down but you can still tell the rims are too small. I found a pair of S-7s and they're hanging on the bar.
IMG_1200.jpg

That's a nice bike you have. Take your time and find the right chrome S-7 Schwinn rims. Gary

Thanks for all the advice and info. I ended up going with a standard sized 24" rim and re-laced the kickback hub into it. I got the same wheel for the front also. I put some 24" x 2.125 whitewalls on it and really don't notice too much of a gap between the fender and tire and no rubbing anywhere. I took apart the rear kickback, cleaned and re-greased it, put some cruiser bars on it but then I was sitting too close to the bars so I'm waiting for my banana seat to come in (Maybe today) so I can sit back more comfortably. I post some pics later! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back