66 Columbia...First Father-Son Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I would like to thank diablo67 for providing us this starter project and rgallen for the inspiration to bring this bike back. My history is with motorcycles and antique vehicles, but not bikes.

This all started when my son (10 years old) saw this bike at rgallen's parts store and got hooked.
405923982.jpg

He never showed much interest in my "old" ventures so when I saw that gleam in his eye I knew I had to act quick! A quick search of ratrodbikes.com presented this 1966 Columbia right down the road from us.
405789320.jpg

First thing we did was remove the old rims, heres a look at the rear and the front was actually a little worse.
405923719.jpg

405924129.jpg

After working all night last friday night, I walked through the door at about 7am and the first thing out of my sons mouth was, "DAD, CAN WE START TEARING DOWN THE WHEELS?" by the end of the day we had the rims dis-assembled and the bendix hub looking like this.
405923804.jpg

This weekend we painted and laced the rims, then had our LBS true them and this is the result. And before anyone says anything...YES, were addicted to white walls!
405923802.jpg

Finally, last night my son suggested that we mock up the new rim/tire combination to make sure they fit, something I didn't even think about HA HA!
405923724.jpg

My son even decided to give her a quick maiden voyage in the dark just to ensure that the rims rolled correctly
405923722.jpg

Whats next, looking at flat black PC for the frame (traditional rod style) while looking for some suggestions from the experts here...
Questions: What suggestions do y'all have for the remainder of this build (seat, grips, tank/no tank, bars, etc...)
Being newbies, we appreciate any input.
THANKS RATRODBIKES.COM

Man, that is lookin good! Love the red rims and the chain you picked out. I would say if you decide to keep the tank, update it with some LED's maybe. I'm impressed with what you've done so far brother, and I'm happy to know you'll be passing on the sickness to your son! :lol: Our kids are the future of this hobby and the only way to save these bikes from the scrap piles. Not to mention the bonding you will have with your son. That will out last any bike!

Roly...

Thanks alot Roly, somehow the excitement even got into my wife and she asked to take it for a spin today!
405929133.jpg

Oh yea, and I wondered what some apes would look like and I remembered I had a set of stocker Victory Cross Country bars that would give me a good idea.

Here she is strapped into the F100 too, I just had to see what it looked like.
405929131.jpg

I do have to mention that the ride is great with one exception...the seat! That thing must be 47years old...

It looks pretty great in the back of the old Ford, but things always look better in threes you know!
You're Really IN IT now! Welcome to Rat Rod Bikes. :wink:

Thanks LFD, that 70's Schwinn build in the build forum really has me thinkin...things do look better in three's!

Awesome bike and a good story to go along with it :).

I usually dont like chains like that, but I really think they look great on that bike. The red rims and frame look great together, I bet you get alot of looks on it 8) . Keep your son interested!! :mrgreen:

Yea Craiggo, my son and I took the truck/bike to get some pizza this evening and I was quite surprised at the attention the bike got. Every stop light had people pointing and staring. I thought it was great, I love to see cool stuff while driving around town but my son got a little embarrassed :oops:
My son is really liking the flat black but several have mentioned that they like the red frame....gotta love choices!

How about masking some of the original red as scallops on the front frame/forks, (maybe even pinstriped) then spray the rest flat black?
If it's not right for the co-builde/ownerr, then you can just paint the scalloped section flat black too.

Awesome work! Looks great in the back of the truck!
late for dinner said:
How about masking some of the original red as scallops on the front frame/forks, (maybe even pinstriped) then spray the rest flat black?
If it's not right for the co-builde/ownerr, then you can just paint the scalloped section flat black too.
+1 on this idea! :wink:

Whatever you do, you have a fan of your build, I will be following along... :D

Luke.

Right on Luke, hey LFD...I have been looking at forks for my Victory Cross Country and this is what I was reminded of
405932130.jpg

Maybe like this except OG red with flat black....

Cool inspiration for sure, but maybe a bit of a challenge for your first co build. :wink:
Ya gotta keep the little man's attention and get his digits dirty, a little sore and covered in overspray.
I think that a little prep, easy masking and rattle can demos is a great start and then I'd hand over the can and let him get 'er done.
That is a great bike for a first build project and flat black is easy to spray and touch up as you know and it's pure Rat.
When it comes time to change it up (and it will, as we all know) your co builder will have the experience and confidence to broaden his creativity and skills. And after all it's only paint.
Great work so far guys, Have Fun.
Rat bikes are like potato chips, it's hard to have just one.....You'll see...... :D

Last night we were able to get all of our bare parts hung and little man took a shot at his first paint job.
405992743.jpg

All in all it turned out pretty well. We were hoping to sand down a few mishaps today and do a little touching up but the rain is moving in so it will have to wait. I know this flat black/red combo is a little played out, but I think it's because it is so killer looking. I don't think that this combo will go away anytime soon! RAT OR BUST
405992744.jpg

Oh......Yeah !
I'll bet that'll be the first Rat Rod on in the bike rack at school. It's already the coolest. :D
Great paint job Little Man, keep up the good work, it was really worth the time that you put into it.
Now, I think some of your friends might be asking you to help paint their bikes too.

Lookin sharp bro! Nice job! Don't feel bad about the black and red, I got one too! :mrgreen: Now the question is, when are ya starting one for the wife?

Nice bike,I'm putting one together for my wife with a similar look,your right about it looking good.i just finished a 72 fairlady for my 11 yo daughter ,shes got the coolest bike on the block.your son is gonna remember this for the rest of his life.good job.

Back