TRADITIONAL Jumpy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rear caliper looks good on there. If you go with a v-brake for the front, remember that the brake levers differ for those two types. The pull ratio isn't the same on the brakes, so you need v-brake compatible ones for the v-brakes. To stay older skool, if you have another front caliper, use that.

I got the rear brake mocked up pretty solid.

I was a little surprised…. The factory fender mount hole wasn’t on center!
IMG_9286.jpeg

But…. I think it’ll work ok:
IMG_9287.jpeg
IMG_9288.jpeg
IMG_9289.jpeg
IMG_9291.jpeg

If you find that those gray pads don't grip well on those chrome rims, take a light grade sand paper to the pad surface to take the 'glaze' off.

I've also had good luck with the salmon colored pads as they have a softer durometer and tend to grip well.
Screenshot_20240527_153147_Amazon Shopping.jpg

How You Doing Whats Up GIF by Travis

Thanks for checking in on me @kingfish254

I’ve….. been quite busy.

My youngest, baby Jude #4 just graduated from high school and she played softball.

My wife and I have had our hands full with end of year games and ceremonies / graduation activities.

We have one party left next weekend, then are really on to a new chapter in our lives.

Ok…. That said, I have had a slight change of direction on this build.

I did a Syracuse Classic Bikes ride a week or so ago and it was BMX night.

A lot of guys brought these super cool basically 26” bmx bikes. They were like a mix between a klunker and a bmx.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/6JePkA3Sha7XEWUm/?mibextid=K35XfP

So… most of them did NOT have front brakes.

I thought they looked kind of cool and clean, but a bit spartan as well, so at least for now, I’m scrapping the front brake idea.

I did make some time to start stripping this guy down as I have a lot of painting to do

IMG_9362.jpeg
IMG_9363.jpeg

First appearance of the Goof Off graffiti remover this year. Looks like it worked decent.

Yes no front brake on most modern bmx. Well functioning rear should be plenty good for most situations.
I just had the graffiti remover in my paint cabinet…. I don’t even remember buying it!

It worked great, although, I had already removed a lot of paint a year or so ago with another stripper.

I did have to use it liberally and it took 10-20 minutes to work, BUT, it made light work of the paint that was on there.

-it didn’t exactly fall off like the old aircraft stripper used to, but it did bubble the paint very well and I scrubbed it off with a wire brush very easily.

It was extremely messy, but worked great.

Personally, I'd want more brake than a rear side-pull on a polished rim. Any moisture and fogeddabout it - even with Kool stops.
I hear you. -truth be told, I doubt I ever flog this guy.

I have a trek 3900 and if I’m going ‘heavy off-road’ or really looking to push limits, I’d defer to that. It’s got a front suspension, more gears and a broken in brooks saddle!

This guy will most commonly see light duty in parades and around our lake. It will get plenty of exposure to grass and gravel trails, but I doubt I’ll be pushing me or the bike’s limits where I really need strong braking power.

Nothing works like the old aircraft remover with the skull and crossbones.

Was looking at your brake setup. That’s a little sketchy. There used to be these little L-brackets that some bikes had that would brace the pads against the seat stays. Can’t seem to find them and no idea what they’re called.

Most bmx bikes with just one brake have a v-brake on an alloy rim.

Was looking at your brake setup. That’s a little sketchy. There used to be these little L-brackets that some bikes had that would brace the pads against the seat stays. Can’t seem to find them and no idea what they’re called.
Something that might work and be really cool would be a 'brake booster', designed to stiffen the brake calipers so they don't flex under load. But they were used with cantilever style brakes.

dkg-brake-booster-768x512.jpg

I agree on the points of reduced braking power with just the rear brake, and the smooth surfaced rim. If you aren't locked in to that rear wheel, an inexpensive ( a lot of dept store bikes at Goodwill, etc ) mtb with a rear disc brake might be the way to go. I have found a pretty solid brake adapter that works for these old frames that I can refer you to if you go that route. Of course, it takes a lever and caliper and disc, but if the thrift store bike you harvest from has all that, it might be a relatively cheap and effective way to deal with your braking.

Nothing works like the old aircraft remover with the skull and crossbones.

Most bmx bikes with just one brake have a v-brake on an alloy rim.
So….. I dunno…. Im sort of with @MattiThundrrr on this. -A klunker with sketchy brake????? I…. I wouldn’t want it any other way!!! :21::heart:

I guess with a name like jumpy….. who wants a bike named stoppy!!! :rofl:

We’re just going to torque thiose guys in as good as I can and see what I got. If I have to or want to upgrade later I can. Right now, I do think I have perfect standing in the way of progress, so I’m just going to grip and rip and see where we end up.

I love me a good klunker build! Looking forward to seeing yours come together!

I'm learning quite a bit about brake setups on this thread. I'll have to keep all of this in mind on my next klunker builds...
Thanks! I love ‘em all too…. Right now though, most of these awesome ideas are beyond my time and skill set.

Looks great buck nekkid

We don't need no stinking brakes

1719365862672.png

Back