7 Speed Schwinn Klunker Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I just built a single speed Klunker and now I want to build a 7 speed. Is it possible and what advice can you give? I have a 1958 Schwinn American frame, forks and cranks. Thank you

It's certainly possible...but perhaps not so simple. Using a wheel with an internal gear hub (like a Sturmey-Archer or Nexus 7) is probably the simplest route. Adding a clamp-on style derailleur is anther alternative that comes with its own set of challenges. (For one thing, the original Schwinn chainring uses 1/8" single speed chain.)

Another obstacle that many planners overlook is the need for brakes. Your vintage frame almost certainly came equipped with a coaster...and coasters don't work with derailleurs. Not insurmountable, but more problems to solve. A multi-speed IGH w/ coaster makes for a nice clean installation.

It's certainly possible...but perhaps not so simple. Using a wheel with an internal gear hub (like a Sturmey-Archer or Nexus 7) is probably the simplest route. Adding a clamp-on style derailleur is anther alternative that comes with its own set of challenges. (For one thing, the original Schwinn chainring uses 1/8" single speed chain.)

Another obstacle that many planners overlook is the need for brakes. Your vintage frame almost certainly came equipped with a coaster...and coasters don't work with derailleurs. Not insurmountable, but more problems to solve. A multi-speed IGH w/ coaster makes for a nice clean installation.
That is something to think about. I have also considered making it a ten speed and using a different crankset. Will my frame accommodate that set up?

It could... There are certainly bikes that might work as a reasonable donor for a one-piece crank. In fact, a Schwinn Varsity from the '70s is common, cheap, and can supply a lot of parts for a potential build. Of course, such a build adds even more complexity with its front derailleur.

Oh wait...are you suggesting a modern 10-speed cassette or a traditional 5x2 setup? If it's the former, then yes there are adapter kits sold that convert the Schwinn's bottom bracket to accept a square-taper cartridge. Just about anything is possible, if you throw enough money at it.

Last edited:
It could... There are certainly bikes that might work as a reasonable donor for a one-piece crank. In fact, a Schwinn Varsity from the '70s is common, cheap, and can supply a lot of parts for a potential build. Of course, such a build adds even more complexity with its front derailleur.

Oh wait...are you suggesting a modern 10-speed cassette or a traditional 5x2 setup? If it's the former, then yes there are adapter kits sold that convert the Schwinn's bottom bracket to accept a square-taper cartridge. Just about anything is possible, if you throw enough money at it.
I was thinking a traditional 5 x 2 setup. But either will do if it achieves the affect I’m looking for. Not sure if both are possible and if one is more desirable than the other. I am considering commuting to work by bike and my single speed Klunker would make it hard on the stretches where it is hilly.

Not sure I can offer any help other than a shared experience. Check out the Rat Coon for one step up, two steps back process. I'm totally winging it so commiserating is all I may be able to offer. However, Klunker is a stretch, more of a hybrid if the Rat Coon is anything. Parts are from a Trek 700 and a Schwinn Collegiate. Not sure what the yellow diamond frame is but it came with the Collegiate which was in better shape.

Last edited:
Buy an old Varsity, mix and match parts to make it work. You will have to make sure the front derailleur will fit the cruiser frame. You will have to add brakes as mentioned, is the frame fork set up for them? You will have to use bolt on cable stops or clamps to hold everything in place. If you had the resources to add braze-ons for this stuff I don't think you'd be asking if it will work, but that's another (cleaner) way to do it.

It's all possible. I wouldn't bother doing it myself, but yeah, you COULD do it.

If you want to make it easy, search for a Sanctuary 7. It's already got the hard stuff done for you (seven speed freewheel out back) you'd just have to make it look like a klunker. No it wouldn't be a '50s Schwinn but it would be a cantliever fame with all the crap on it you want.

Here's a basicallly stock Sanctuary 7.
Typhoon_2701.JPG

Here's mine after some changes, it's now a 5 speed IGH.
Typhoon_6082.JPG

I also did a Typhoon in more of a klunker style, I thought about going with a rear derailleur but ended up with a two speed kick back instead. It may end up with an IGH also
Typhoon_7015.JPG

Back