8 speed chain selection

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Putting 8 speed shimano alivio derailleur on my Schwinn Heavy Duti.
Problem is chain from donor bike too short using the method defined by Sheldon Brown running chain over largest sprockets and adding 2 links. In the effort to save a buck, I'd like to see if a donor bike can provide the extra chain. or worst case I will buy a new one. Looking at Amazon seems there are chains
rated up to 7 speeds and 8 speeds and over take a different chain.Also there is this pic,
3 32 chain.jpg

Where a user says, "At less than 8.5mm maximum plate diameter, this chain might fix skipping in high gear caused by too large side plates riding on the spacer between the two smallest sprockets. Sadly, this critical specification is never published for any bicycle chains. The second photo shows various bike chains, all with the same pitch and 3/32" sprocket clearance. The third photo shows wear on the small sprocket spacer caused by a chain too big in diameter: if the chain rides too high, the following sprocket tooth can kick it up and cause the chain to skip."

So all 3/32 chain is not equal???:confused:

Whoa, that's it! I've been keeping my hair short so that I can't grab it to tear it out over the skipping in top on my road bike. All the parts are new, I rechecked everything multiple times, and it only does it when spinning too fast to see the cause. For now, I can probably just shave the spacer.

Latest posts

Back