a gravity bike build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imho gravity bikes are the ultimate 2 wheeled rat rod. theyre garage built and there's no such thing as a factory produced gravity bike, and they are hot rods in every sense of the word cuz they are built to go FAST! and go fast they do, my top speed to date is over 63mph on one of these bikes. this frame is a GT. i chose it cuz it's already heavy (heavier is better in gravity sports) and it's built like a tank. the frame and fork also use U-brakes which are a strong, effective, and dependable rim brake. this frame was described to me as a 'black chrome' finish. i went over the whole frame with 320 grit to sand it down to the way you see it here (that took FOREVER!!), cleaned it with turpentine, then for the first time in my build 'career' i used a self etching primer. i love this stuff, it lays down soooo smooth. i did 3 coats, 5 -7 minutes apart, from three different positions that the bike was hung from. i dont have the fork sanded yet. this bike came with extra large diameter hubs and sealed bearings in the hubs. i masked off the top of the seat tube and the rear drop outs, the paint in these areas always gets messed up the first time ya mount a wheel so i dont think ill be painting these areas on any projects from here on out. it will make a great gravity bike. i will be using a custom bent seat post, a different stem, different handlebars, knee and foot rests, and this will obviousely have a custom paint job. this will not only be a FAST bike, it will look wicked cool!!

after sanding, before primer
blackchromeGB13.jpg

blackchromeGB23.jpg

primed, will sit to cure for at least 5 days
blackchromeGB33.jpg

blackchromeGB43.jpg

by the way, gravity biking is extremely dangerous and i do not recommend anyone try it!!!!
fast eddie outty

...by the way, gravity biking is extremely dangerous and i do not recommend anyone try it!!!!
fast eddie outty
I, sir, accept your challenge :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i chose it cuz it's already heavy (heavier is better in gravity sports)

I'd be unbeatable if I had the courage :mrgreen: (I was gonna say guts but then I realized my gut was what would make me unbeatable) :mrgreen:

Cool frame! Looks bulletproof.

eddie ive seen your gravity bikes and seen videos of you and people on them, as uch as i love gravity racing, no way on the bikes man. i like em low and slow baby!! but your g-bikes are always a freakin sweet build. would love to build one myself but just dont have the kahunas to ride it!!

Easy E

i spent the money on some better rattle can prmier/paint and i am VERY happy w/ the results! this color is called titanium and it has a bit of metal flake effect. 13 bucks a can and theres almost a full can on the bike. this thing is gonna be too cool for school babee!! the fork isnt done yet, another 13 bucks i guess! not sure what color to paint the fork, any suggestion are certainly welcome.
fast eddie outty
blackchromeGB53.jpg

Never seen a gravity bike before, and this looks like a really nice build so I'm really looking forward to see the end result! About the fork, maybe it would look good with a similar colour as the frame but a lighter shade, and with the same flake effect? I like the colour on the frame, well worth the 13 bucks! :)

flipping the frames makes the bikes far less stable because it increases the rake on the front end. increased rake is good for straight line drag racing, but not for high speed turns. ive raced both ways and ill never ride a flipped frame again, scared the poo outta me! flipping the frame will only give about 3 more inches of wheel base (if im remembering correctly) and thats not difference enough to sacrifice so much handling for. the wheel base on a full 20" bmx frame (most now adays are only 18" frames) is a good start and ive built and sold several nice bikes with those size frames. i havent ridden in a while, but they're just so cool lookin i really enjoy building them!
fast eddie outty

i have the tools to cut and grind, but not to weld. gotta be careful w/ wheelbase on these. too long will lose maneuverability in tight turns. ppl think lower is better too but thats not necesarily true, the rider should be able to move the bike left to right under him/herself with moving the body, like a jockey on a horse. at least thats what i think is best.
fast eddie outty

i think a 24" bmx frame would be better since they gotta a lil longer wheel base, they'd be a lil more comfortable ll bet. i just dont run into as often and i never run into one for free or for a good trade. i think 20" is more common in g-sports cuz the rules wont let ya run bigger than a 20" bmx size wheel and theres more product available for that size. have you ever built a gravit bike?
fast eddie outty

nope. just thinkin on this. may just doa a rider like your 20" your doing. don't know. i do have some heavy 20" steel rims that need hubs in an laced up. probably could put disk hubs on an weld brackets to it or weld bosses an use v brakes. will just have to wait an see. got enought projects to finnish right now, but any info you could give me that would be great, so then i can ponder on this. thanks

Outlaw 8)

check out http://www.gravitybike.com theres a ton of pics that will give ya ideas and any tech questions ya got ya can put on the forum. ive been into these things for a while and the next bike im building for myself (havent put pics of it up yet) wil have some rat rod style for sure! it'll probably be the best lookin bike ive built all thanx to the style i picked up at the rat site!
fast eddie outty

i got 50 pounds of shot and two frames waiting for just that reason! before i try it though i wanna buy an electric lead pot for melting it, i also need to close up the holes inside the frame tubes. that'll look alot cleaner than bolting barbells through the bottom bracket which is what i usually do. gonne be very difficult selling those frames cuz of shipping!
fast eddie outty

did you quit racing or what? been reading the post over at gravity bikes and sounds like this is going away. there doesn't seem to be anybody in it here in WA. so is this type of racing fading out or what? thanks

Outlaw 8)

There's a lot of gravity racing in Washington and Oregon. In August the Mary Hill Festival of Speed had people from all over the world racing gravity bikes in the Dalles.

a freind of mine was killed in a streetluge crash the night before an outlaw race i helped organize and promote last april. i havent ridden a luge since. ive decided to keep riding bikes though, maybe ill start luging later, it spooked me though when that happened. i dont think this kind of racing is goin away, i think its just goin back where it should be, underground! its growing like crazy in australia. im sure it'll pick up again sometime, but whether it does or not ill keep building them. the best way to keep it goin is build a bike and ride it. i show gravity bikes here in kc when i can and they get way more attention than the other bikes cuz their different. give it a go!
fast eddie outty

Back