a gravity bike build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i thought they werent doing that maryhill race anymore cuz of vandelism? or am i thinking of a different one, jon ozman posted a letter from a town that said they didnt want them back, wasnt that maryhill? also, dont let rhetoric from race promoters or racers be misleading, race attendence is not a reflection on how many ppl are riding, alot of ppl (like myself) are recreational riders and do not care for the rules - or the very limited time on the hill at a race compared to riding all day at 'bandit' or 'outlaw' runs.
fast eddie outty

Would you guys please post the Gravity Bike web addy here 4 the rest of us to check it out .
Thanks,

Wingman

http://www.gravitybike.com

if you decide to build one, plllleeeeaaaase be careful, they are deceptively fast. they are an entirely different kind of bicycle riding, and they are veeeery dangerous. ive crashed on these and it not pleasant, i had on a motorcycle helmet and full leathers and i still got knocked out when i tumbled my way through a turn that i took too hot.
they do however look wicked cool and are a stylish addition to any collection!!

fast eddie outty

fast eddie said:
a freind of mine was killed in a streetluge crash the night before an outlaw race i helped organize and promote last april. i havent ridden a luge since. ive decided to keep riding bikes though, maybe ill start luging later, it spooked me though when that happened. i dont think this kind of racing is goin away, i think its just goin back where it should be, underground! its growing like crazy in australia. im sure it'll pick up again sometime, but whether it does or not ill keep building them. the best way to keep it goin is build a bike and ride it. i show gravity bikes here in kc when i can and they get way more attention than the other bikes cuz their different. give it a go!
fast eddie outty

I was supposed to be in that race as well eddie. ill never forget that night man, Danimal the $hitastic called me up and said the race had been cancelled cuz of a death at the hill the night before :( and not to even bother loading up my gravity racer. it spooked me too cuz i had just finished mine the night before, the only thing mines missing, BRAKES. still to this day, my gravity racers sit in my garage, one has never even seen the bed of my truck to go bomb a hill. its kinda creepy to think that it couldve been me or you or anybody for that matter. its sad but it just shows how extreme the sport is. for those who dare to try it, good luck, be safe and NEVER RIDE ALONE.

BAUM-G REST IN PEACE HOMIE!!!

Easy E

P.S.- eddie im not trying to steal your thread at all man but i couldnt talk about my gravity racer and not show it to ya bro!!! heres a little sneak preview of what we got goin on at BS Customs( lol thats just a goofy name my boy noah and i came up with since we both went to Blue Springs high school together)

september152008112-1.jpg

check out the sweet non functioning exhaust pipe!!!
september152008111-1.jpg

september152008110-1.jpg

hope ya'll can dig it!! its a blast to ride man. but its never seen a hill yet!!!

Easy E

thanks eddy for the info. sorry for the loss of a friend. i've raced enough on motorcycles to know the dangers an i totally respect that part of racing. it looks like a fun sport to do. but i am old so if i do i'll be bringing up the rear.lol

hey is that a billycart i've been hearing about? pretty kool.

Outlaw 8)

elvis thats a cool racer! im gonna do some talkin w/ the city and the soap box derby ppl over the winter months to see if i can arrange something. i would love love love to see some boardtrackers and old cruisers bombing hills! if we keep the speeds low and concentrate on creativity (which was supposed to be the theme of that race last april) then i think we can have fun with it. billy carts are cool outlaw, check out the links that scotty has up, those carts are wicke fast and some are really cool lookin, but i dont think theyre as fast as a g-bike!
fast eddie outty

who's scotty an where are the links? thanks, would like to see em.

Outlaw 8)

eddie that would be sweet if we could actually get some support from the local authorities to actually race. low speeds might be a problem tho. lol. but if you do talk to them and find anything out then definately let me know whats up bro cuz id love to hit up blue valley park again! i know danimal would be down too!

BTW, let get back to this bike your buildin, you got any up to date pics on it? i wanna see this stinkin g-bike!!

Easy E

yeah eddie, lets see it. i need some pics so i can see what is new.

Outlaw 8)

i just put the titanium on it last weekend, and i just picked up paint for the fork yesterday! i dont know when ill get a chance to pain the fork, and i dont know what im gonna do about clear coat cuz i cant use rattle can clear and i dont have a spray gun. i have everything else i need to build it, just gotta get the paint done! maybe before the weekend i can paint the fork and prime the rack for the skateboard bike,

i picked up a new 20" rim today. has 48 spokes and has sealed bearings in it. will put this on the back, its a front rim. am looking for a 36 one for the front.. measured my top tube. darn, it's 18", but i have enough room toward the back i should be able to lay out ok. this will be a fun build. have some other things planed for it so it will be a long build.

Outlaw 8)

Was just over at g-bikes site looking at pics of some of the rides...my question is:

Doesn't having an open hole for a bottom bracket create a weak spot right in the center and bottom of your frame where you would hope most of your center of gravity would be??? Or is an open bottom bracket part of the requirements of an official g-bike?

They look like fun no matter what though...kinda like some of our old cruiser rides in Boulder, when we would ride to the top of a parking garage and have chainless races back to the bottom. There is something very thrilling about not being in COMPLETE control of your bike :mrgreen:

progress is slow, but its comin!! prep for paint and paint take FOREVER .... and thats just if ya wanna decent paint job! im diggin the way this paint lays down. to clear im gonna have to invest in a gun and mix my own clear. i have a compressor so maybe for christmas ill get myself a spray gun!! im thinkin about doin a 'fade' paint job on the frame, slowly fading from solid black on the head tube back to the titanium about halfway toward the back of the bike on the top and down tubes, would kinda blend it all together, havent decided yet, waddya guys think? i cant assemble the bike till its cleared which is a bummer, i wish i would have taken pics while it was mocked up.
fast eddie outty
blackchromeGB63.jpg

blackchromeGB73.jpg

hey eddie, was just at the G-bikes site. its down. did Mac pull the plug?

Outlaw :?

ok, so here is my 26" mongoose mtb that i am building as a g-bike, will have full suspension an 20" wheels. it is on the back burner right now as i picked up a 20" redline double x that i am now getting ready to put together as a g-bike. will be showing it around to get interest back into the sport. it's a faster build as it's a stock bike. will post some pic's soon. also looking at a canti i have to build too. heres the pic's of the frame (mongoose)

this is before i cut the seat post

JWSMOCKUPBIKES240.jpg

this is after i cut the seat post

JWSMOCKUPBIKES241.jpg

JWSMOCKUPBIKES242.jpg

i'll put up a new build for the redline soon

Outlaw

i have that same frame sitting in my garage waiting for me! im only gonna use the rear swingarm though. be careful, now that you've cut the seat you have a metal spear in your belly when you mount the bike! i considered a build like your goin for here and on my drawings i saw that if i put 20" wheels and 20" front fork on the bike i would have to take the rear suspension spring out to close that gap to keep a somewhat correct rake on the front end. just a thought. lookin forward to seein what you come up with! i think full suspension looks very cool!
fast eddie

eddy, i think i'll go with the 26" front fork and 20" wheel and see where the rake comes out to. just a bunch of mocking up to do and putting panals on it also. will be a fun build. am posting up my redline over at gravity bike today. stay tuned. oh and that spear will be covered with a custom seat and belly board.lol

Outlaw

Back