A little help with the Hawthorn Flyar??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off.... I know how to spell Flier.... but this is the Hawthorn Flyar k? :wink: There is no freakin way Id change this paint... so if they kid says Flyar... its Flyar....

This was the score of the day at the swap in Centraila I guess the guy had been packing this around for several swap meets and several of the guys I know said "id of bought that If not for (insert problem or concern here)

But anyway I love the paint.... The fork has some real issues. Its filled with water, froze and burst in one spot and is bent pretty bad. I hope I can find just the arm part of the forks ( not the springer and truss ) but may have to try and fix whats there. Also I need a crank, stem and some bars. There is a broken stem froze in the fork that will have to be extricated.
Its missing one support arm for the rack.. The rack itself needs some lovin..

Also it has a 2 speed hub, the shifter and cable guides are there but cable / hub mechanism is gone

All in all I think its a great bike and am excited to find some parts to get it rideable. So anyone have anything that might be helpful give me a shout.

2725427749_0eff02196b.jpg

2725427791_aae599bd71_o.jpg

2726252788_b3bffffe6a_o.jpg

2725427959_b0b445e431_o.jpg

2725428013_be7260691b_o.jpg

I also bought this frame... The previous owner said its a pre-war Elgin? I just thought it was cool
2726252970_d44f003631_o.jpg

I say use the fork as is. As long as the springer is functional, it would take a lot of load off of it.
The split is vertical and "running with the grain". Drill a small hole at the end of the split to keep it from getting longer.

Oh, and keep it away from skate ramps. :lol:

If it were mine , i would take a porta band saw and cut off the top nut on the forks,remove every thing and have a new neck tube welded in. At that point i would have the same person weld up the crack with wet rags on the tube to save the old paint. Seems like a simple fix to me ....Cool bike. :mrgreen:

Uncle Stretch said:
If it were mine , i would take a porta band saw and cut off the top nut on the forks,remove every thing and have a new neck tube welded in. At that point i would have the same person weld up the crack with wet rags on the tube to save the old paint. Seems like a simple fix to me ....Cool bike. :mrgreen:

DON'T YOU LISTEN TO HIM!!! HE REALLY WANTS TO SAND BLAST IT AND PAINT IT!!!!!! :p :lol: :p

Yeah that would be a simple fix... The problem is thats not the problem. I could leave the split without much worry... or pound it in and weld it... the issue is the fork is tweaked. you cant really tell from the pictures but the whole fork is bent back toward the downtube about an 1" to 1 1/2" (you can see how close the fender is to the downtube) and the left tube is wonked out and not in the same plane as the right. My fear is that I will tear or brake the fork tube if I try to get it back to a point the geometry is correct. I guess I dont have much to loose and can probably repair what damage I do.. It just seems like if a fork could be had it would be a better solution.

I did post a blurb on cabe and someone identified it as a 1941 built by DP Harris.... I am going to run the thing out to the shop today and If I get time I might try and straighten the fork.

Boneshaker said:
DON'T YOU LISTEN TO HIM!!! HE REALLY WANTS TO SAND BLAST IT AND PAINT IT!!!!!!
Ok Ok so I'm not a purist. I will have you know I now own every shade of green produced in a spray can trying to match that rollfast green trying to touch it up instead of doing what I should .... sandblast and paint it. At $5 a can its not a cheap venture not to mention getting yelled at for spraying paint in an auto parts store. I thought it was ok ...others had done it. :roll:

OOOH, CRUSTILICIOUS!!! Yep, that's the Harris springer alright. Parts.... Not a'gonna be easy! Although I suppose you could take a regular fork and weld all the springer related bits on... Or, could be a good excuse to go to Northern Tool or harbor Freight and buy a shop press!! 2nd frame's definitely an Elgin, check out my identical one in the Gallery. that cool star sprocket was ONLY used on Elgins and Iver Johnsons, as far as I know. But IJ's had a 3 piece crank... ~Adam

whats the hub on the first bike new departure model d? if so ive got a link that might help with the parts
and the second bike does look like an elgin(it does have the elgin chainring)

Nice find! FYI, that basic fork is pretty easy to find....it is the same on any Rollfast from the era, and there are often ladies models with just the truss fork floating around in the usual buying places. I myset have a mens and ladies from 1941 that have the same front set up....a great, beefy fork in my opinion. By the way, are you interested in selling the second frame? Either way, great find, and enjoy!

Yeah...

The fork is toast...

It is bent so many diffrent places and ways its crazy...

Fork tube is bent in two directions
2740628326_f496a65ce2_o.jpg

2739791127_474eccac35_o.jpg

You can see how "blown up" the one tube is.. started out flat and is now round.
2739791233_40679b97d8_o.jpg

Rustinkerer said:
OOOH, CRUSTILICIOUS!!! Yep, that's the Harris springer alright. Parts.... Not a'gonna be easy! Although I suppose you could take a regular fork and weld all the springer related bits on... Or, could be a good excuse to go to Northern Tool or harbor Freight and buy a shop press!! 2nd frame's definitely an Elgin, check out my identical one in the Gallery. that cool star sprocket was ONLY used on Elgins and Iver Johnsons, as far as I know. But IJ's had a 3 piece crank... ~Adam

So does anyone have a standard fork I could buy? I think i could weld all the springer bits on and make that work pretty well...

I still need a crank & pedals for this guy as well....

bombshelterbikes said:
Nice find! FYI, that basic fork is pretty easy to find....it is the same on any Rollfast from the era, and there are often ladies models with just the truss fork floating around in the usual buying places. I myset have a mens and ladies from 1941 that have the same front set up....a great, beefy fork in my opinion. By the way, are you interested in selling the second frame? Either way, great find, and enjoy!

Thanks for the info. I think Im going to hold on to the Elgin for the moment but if plans change I'll give you a shout.

That Flyar is too cool. too bad about the fork but I bet you will find a solution. Please dont paint that bike.

TheFlyingDingo said:
if im not mistaken...i had forks just like that that bent
is there something about the fork causing that?
dont paint the bike

I dont know.... Could be a design flaw I guess. I would think it would take a heck of a wack to bend a fork this bad. Im sure the buldge from freezing made it weak.

And No... Im wouldnt dream of painting it... I paid a retarded amount of cash for a bike in this shape BECAUSE of the paint...

Back