A MATTHEWS FROM MATTHEWS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0028-1.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

DSC_0020-1.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

DSC_0025-1.jpg

DSC_0030-1.jpg

Me on the right...Cash Matthews on the left...today was a good day. ;)

DSC_0001-1.jpg

How much travel does that hinged rear end have? It seems like the chain would come off if you hit a bad bump. I wish I would have learned a little more about BMX bikes. I've passed up a thousand of them over the years I could have gotten for next to nothing. Ignorance is bliss. :roll: Gary

The rear ends gives pretty good depending on the shock setting. You can twist the shock to adjust the firmness.

Since you got it from Cash, I'm sure you know exactly what you have. A nice condition complete survivor, mostly OG, 1st gen. Matthews. There are only a handful of those in collectors hands! To find a frame is pretty uncommon, to find one complete is very rare.
Congrats on a great pickup. That is a super cool bike!

Sweet find. I wish I never sold my Matthews to a guy in Austrialia. After all it is my first name with an S on the end. :D But I did make good money for it since I picked it up for 2.50 at an auction. So that was worth it. Matt

RCain said:
Since you got it from Cash, I'm sure you know exactly what you have. A nice condition complete survivor, mostly OG, 1st gen. Matthews. There are only a handful of those in collectors hands! To find a frame is pretty uncommon, to find one complete is very rare.
Congrats on a great pickup. That is a super cool bike!

Thanks man. He sent me a note telling me that he had just picked it up and wanted to sell it so we agreed on a deal and the rest is history. The minute I saw the wheels and tires I was hooked.

I'm not even sure I can bring myself to wash it. :)

B607 said:
How much travel does that hinged rear end have? It seems like the chain would come off if you hit a bad bump. I wish I would have learned a little more about BMX bikes. I've passed up a thousand of them over the years I could have gotten for next to nothing. Ignorance is bliss. :roll: Gary

The rear ends gives pretty good depending on the shock setting. You can twist the shock to adjust the firmness.

Wow RatRod, you put your reply right on my original post. ^^^ I like that personalized treatment! :p Gary

Turns out this bike may be more rare than I thought.

Apparently there aren't but 5 or 6 complete original survivor 1st gen Monoshocks in the original finish that have been unearthed. :shock:

Even more happy to have this beast in the collection.

I'm not into BMX'ers anymore, but that sure takes me back! That's one killer fork! And those rims...I remember somehow getting my dad to buy me a set, along with Schwinn Scrambler knobby tires. I don't know if there was a generic version, they were tough though! -Adam

After further inspection it looks like the yellow color was actually a rattle can job done many moons ago. The bike originally started off as sort of a light blue metallic color. They also cut the front decal up a bit on the neck and removed the parts that said "Matthews."

I actually like the yellow color better than the original blue, but it is unfortunate that it's not original.

Okay...I got very close to selling this bike over the past week...even to the point of having someone come look at it.

I ended up leaving it down all week and that kept it in my site all week. As a result, I've regained my senses and decided I better hang onto it.

While it was down I decided to finally give it a quick bath to see how it would look. I also replaced the plastic seat for a more appropriate Messenger that I had.

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Big screeners...

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130 ... C_0020.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130 ... C_0035.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130 ... C_0036.jpg