A MOUNTAIN RAT BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first of three pad cover set is made. Took a while to dial in the machine to get a good stitch. Still have some small finish work to do in them. Also making a small pad for the handlebars. Found some areas on the bike that didn’t get good paint coverage, so I’m hoping that last bit of paint left in the can will be enough. Hoping for no splatter 🤞🏻. Waterslide decals will be positioned soon. View attachment 240701View attachment 240702View attachment 240703View attachment 240704View attachment 240705
Those are sick

Wow, this build has really come a long ways! The paint is looking great and the pads are fantastic, nice work!
Thanks @Pondo! It’s coming along fairly well. The waterslide decals I made came out looking like “ghost” decals, so that will have to wait for another time. I’m having a tough time finishing pads, since my machine stopped cooperating with me. It doesn’t like sewing Velcro strap. So I moved on to clear coating the bike. I should start assembly on Monday. Once I get it to rider status, I’ll get back i the pads. I like what I got so far. Thanks for checking in on my build!💪🏻

Great work on the pads. Such a cool touch.

Time to start putting the parts together to make a bike. I work a little bit like Arnie Cunningham from the movie Christine. Bass Ackwards. So, I started with a new bottle cage from Bikace. It fits the largest of bottles and my UE Megaboom Bluetooth speaker. The new bb assembly will go in next.
IMG_3672.jpeg

The fork is installed, and the crankset. I need to align the rear cassette sprocket with the chainring using the proper spacers. I have a front disc brake that is painted red, so I am painting the caliper brake components on the back to match. It was nice to find that all of the replacement parts were much lighter than the originals.
IMG_3681.jpeg
IMG_3680.jpeg
IMG_3679.jpeg
IMG_3678.jpeg

Front wheel is on and I need to dial in the brake. Brake levers and shifting mechanisms are on the bars. I will be adding a bit of length to the cables for steering agility and looks. I’m still pretty certain that the bottom bracket assembly was welded on backwards from the factory. This may be the reason the bike was quickly trashed. Shifting may have been terrible. The wear on the old front derailleur tells some of the tail. This may become a single speed after the build off.
IMG_3705.jpeg

Decided to purchase a derailleur hanger adjustment tool, to give this bike its best chance to change gears and maybe hit the finish line. Some new brake cables with a bit more length went on. Reassembly on the rear brake is under way. Maybe Monday I will have a chain on. I’ve got the seat and ride position in a comfortable area, which I will adjust on the shake down.
IMG_3718.jpeg
IMG_3720.jpeg

Back