A MOUNTAIN RAT BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s currently the stock fork. It will get an upgrade eventually.
What type of MTB fork is it when it is squared off at the top and not rounded. This is for rigid forks not suspension. I see them in photos but I don’t know how to differentiate them when I want to do a search. Any help is appreciated.

What type of MTB fork is it when it is squared off at the top and not rounded. This is for rigid forks not suspension. I see them in photos but I don’t know how to differentiate them when I want to do a search. Any help is appreciated.
This is my first mountain bike, so all of this is new to me. The bike was just a dumpster find that I am trying to resuscitate. There are lots of guys that know so much more than I. Check out some of the other mountain bike builds for some research. I wish I could be of help. 💪🏻

Tange Switchblade is one model, but you won't find one for cheap. There are copies and variations though
download (9).jpeg

Also things like this unicrown by Ritchey. They were used on old stumpjumpers and other high end classics, so it might be easier to find
ritchey-crown-02-PINP-thumb.jpg

Haha! I’m past my bar spinning days. I think. I thought about putting a Gyro on it. I feel like I’m on a penny farthing when I sit on this thing. So tall and I’m am 5’8” 😩 I do have my survivor General Hustler Pro that needs a restoration. I’ll still attempt some tricks on that bike. 💪🏻
How will you do bar spins with all of those nice cables in the way?

Tange Switchblade is one model, but you won't find one for cheap. There are copies and variations though View attachment 242651
Also things like this unicrown by Ritchey. They were used on old stumpjumpers and other high end classics, so it might be easier to find View attachment 242652
The current iteration of the Ritcheys are SUPER nice. Lots of options in a lower triple style

J&I, Ritchey, MRP, Massi

And that without even getting into the Amazon and AliExpress brands

The bike is complete. I need to finish up a couple of BMX pads, but happy with what I have. I’m working through the gears now. Trying to get everything dialed in. At least it’s a finished bike. It will get tweaked as I ride and learn about this bike. This is my first mountain bike. Also, my first journey in to derailleur’s, 3 ring cranks, 7 speed cassettes, shifters (non old school 3 speeds), disc brakes and making BMX pads. It’s been fun. Glad to have a bike that matches my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon to hit trails with.
IMG_3760.jpeg
IMG_3759.jpeg
IMG_3757.jpeg
IMG_3756.jpeg
IMG_3755.jpeg
IMG_3754.jpeg

Custom BMX Rack Pads. The longer pads for the frame were all done on a sewing machine, until it stopped liking me trying to see in Velcro. The tooth side is a nightmare to sew. I had to switch to a “No-Sew” method to finish out the handlebar pads. All hems were made with peel and stick fusing and strong self adhesive Velcro. The results were exactly what I needed since I had gotten pretty frustrated with my machine. It is 50 plus years old. Here are the three sets of pads I made.
IMG_3774.jpeg
IMG_3773.jpeg
IMG_3771.jpeg
IMG_3770.jpeg
IMG_3769.jpeg
IMG_3768.jpeg
IMG_3767.jpeg
IMG_3766.jpeg
IMG_3765.jpeg
IMG_3764.jpeg
IMG_3763.jpeg
IMG_3762.jpeg
IMG_3761.jpeg

That's cool! where did you get the material with the jeep graphics?
The Jeep map fabric is a licensed material and I got it from Etsy. The other two are for a site called Spoonflower.com. They custom print and have these patterns and others. Some sizing choices. I’m going to wrap my roll bars with one of these fabrics. One of the pads sets have a layer of fuseable vinyl for protection.

Took the bike out for a quick shake down, and took a few shots. At least I have something if I cannot get out again. I live on Green Mountain in Lakewood and has nice scenery. I work a weekend shift, so I’m not sure if I will get back out. I do have some other shots planned. I took a shot with each pad set in the end. I got ahead of myself and forgot to do that in the beginning.
IMG_3783.jpeg

Latest posts

Back