A Proper Rat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lining up the final stretch:

Bars
Shifter
Brakes
Cables
53644DEB-5F36-483D-97FA-75A4DE7D44D1.jpeg

And….. operation cable dye was a flop!

After 2 weeks and 2 attempts at cables, I got these gray, purple-ish brown things.

Not what I wanted, but I’ll make them work and I do think they’ll look ok.

-next time I’ll either spring for new housings or the vinyl spray paint

i might try one last attempt with some red or maroon acrylic paint and see what happens…. Or even green…
F10C2820-2FCF-4BBA-A78A-BA13CEA0A319.jpeg

Last edited:
Dude, slpurge for some grips! You can use dye or acrylic paint to darken these, they look like cork, but are made of rubber.

Screenshot_20230719_203520_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Or get these, I have them on Silver King Unchained. Use your Metalcast red to tint the lock on rings! Super comfy, real leather grips.

Screenshot_20230719_203956_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Dude, slpurge for some grips! You can use dye or acrylic paint to darken these, they look like cork, but are made of rubber.

View attachment 241759

Or get these, I have them on Silver King Unchained. Use your Metalcast red to tint the lock on rings! Super comfy, real leather grips.

View attachment 241760
Thanks OJ: it’s All good !!!! -i already splurged…. I’m putting bar tape On this puppy!

I just put the rim liner on for extra cushion under the tape!

She’ll look sharp. i promise!!! - A LITTLE pizazz to match the wheels coming up in a few days!!!! :cool2:

I have mixed feelings about this Temu app, but if you want brake cables and grips for cheap (like next to nothing) check it out. So cheap it feels criminal.
View attachment 241762
Unreal! I’m skittish on a lot of websites, though. I tried to buy some 24” Schwinn tires from a site called modern bike over the winter. -my bank turned off my credit card and I had to go in person to get the thing back up.

I try to limit my bike stuff buys to eBay, Amazon and cash local deals.

a lot of the savings I think I might get are eaten up by messing around with my bank and credit card companies!

And…. Running out of jobs on this guy:

Just rode it.

Test ride was great:
Pedals freely, smooth and quiet (forward/backwards)
Shifts fine
Brakes fine
No rattles, creaks or squeaks
Lifted the seat about 3/4” after ride

Just need to do
Bar tape
Decals
Put on ‘stronger’ rear brake cable holders
Put on pump
Photo shoot!
AE4CEEDA-BC81-4598-8BA7-D2AA86C884F1.jpeg
98FA5FF0-69F6-4A01-8D4D-1A7C359A4481.jpeg