A ride in a New England Town

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was inspired by dangrat and locojoe taking us on a tour of their respective Mid-Western towns. So inspired I braved 35 degrees, snow, sleet and finally rain on a quick tour of downtown East Haven, CT. I needed to run to my local hardware store for a few nuts and bolts for my Airstream bike. (Goody's Rules. I am the third generation going there and they are on the third generation of owners.) I rode my Rockabilly. It is just such a nice bike that I prefer to take it anywhere I go. I fits me well.

Here is my humble abode:
DSC02983.jpg

Built in 1880's. I've been working on it for 13 years.

And my quiet neighbors.
DSC02984.jpg

This cemetery has markers from the late 1600's. The first student at Yale University is buried there. He was also the first pastor of my church. Rev. Hemingway.

On the town green across the street from my house.
DSC02986.jpg

The Revolutionary War Wemorial.

My church:
DSC02987.jpg

The Old Stone Church. The sanctuary was constructed in 1774. The parish has been around since 1750 or so. Where my bike sits used to be beautiful old brick row buildings full of shops a bowling alley and movie theater. Yay redevelopment in 1970s. "If it's old it's crap so tear it down and put up nondescript characterless buildings" Which, by the way, have since been knocked down because they really were crap.

Town Hall:
DSC02988.jpg

Station No. 1:
DSC02989.jpg

At least in this go around with re-development, they are trying to give the new buildings character. Many of the new buildings take their architectural cues from this 1935 (give or take) building.

I'm a little chilly but my coffee has a shot of whiskey in it so I'll be just fine in a few minutes. :wink: I hope you enjoyed the tour.

Thanks for braving the cold. Was in the 40s I think when I rode yesterday with just a couple of snowflakes in the morning.
The towns back East have so much history and character. Looks like a great location across from the park. I like the shot of the bike, canon and house.

Plenty of history all around this great country. When I lived in KCMO I enjoyed learning all about the Santa Fe Trail, Oregon Trail, Pony express, etc. Lots of good history out there too. I have to admit a soft spot for anything Revolutionary War though.

My next ride will take us over to the Shoreline Trolley Museum (http://www.bera.org). It's only a block down the street from my house.

I've never seen that canon when I was at your house. You moved it with your super human strength just for the that photo huh?

... seen it, seen it, been there, been there, seen it... <snicker> Great pics Skip! Amy and I so need to get back that way soon. I miss the bakeries and pizza joints locally there (a lot of Italian heritage), good eats and treats.

We were Christmas decorating the house Saturday with the girls and it began snowing, woke up Sunday morning to find an accumulation on the ground. Looks like you had a break in the weather but, your snow is coming!

Clark

iififm - Boy moved it there. He needed some exercise. :D

ss - It was snowing, sleeting and raining during my whole ride. It was a very nice ride in spite of that. 8)

Boy and I took advantage of some warm weather today and went for a ride. very wet and muddy. He fell three times. He was pretty ticked off on the photos. Just wanted to get home and out of the muddy clothes.

The Shoreline Trolley Museum (http://www.bera.org) is right down the street fro my house. We always ride down next to the tracks to the barns and have a look around to see what they may have picked up recently.
this is an old subway car. They've been getting a few of these lately. I think they use them for parts.
DSC03170.jpg

DSC03171.jpg

They must have gotten a deal on the wrecker. It's a really sweet Diamond T.
DSC03173.jpg

Boy pulling into the garage after the ride. His back was really muddy. Sping cleaning is going to be a bear this year. :cry:
DSC03175.jpg

You're right, having a destination makes the ride much better. Looking at the photos again, Is it just me that can see how ticked off he is in the first one? He wanted to go home NOW as soon as he hit the mud puddle. I made him suck it up. By the time we got home he was in better spirits but, went straight in and got changed.

I like your house, church, park, Rockabilly bike, and your T-bird. You better get warmed up before you get sick.

Back