BO15 A Step-Through Time---Changing projects for build-off

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First of all, let me explain the title of my build-off entry. Since this is an "anything goes" category, I am going to use a type of bike that most people part out and throw away. I feel that it's unfortunate that "girl's bikes" get almost no respect in the vintage bicycle hobby. Some of them are much more stylish than their "boy's bike" counterparts. Therefore, I prefer to use the term "step-through" when describing this frame style. It's a less "taboo" type of name. So for this build-off, I am entering a cool old step-through style frame that I found on ebay a couple of weeks ago. I was the only bidder on this auction, so I was able to buy it for next to nothing ($40). I guess that nobody else respected this "girl's bike" enough to bid on it. I think it's cool! It's a beautiful NOS early-30's Elgin curved seat tube frame in an unusual 2-tone beige and maroon. I am not exactly sure of the year, but it is early enough to be a pre-headbadge model. It has some minor shelf wear, but otherwise it is a beautiful starting point for a cool custom build. On June 6th, I attended the Bicycle Heaven Swap Meet in Pittsburgh. The first swap meet near me that hadn't been cancelled this year. There, I was able to find a correct set of original forks with all the hardware and the correct truss rods for only $5. I will also be using a nice tan '34 Colson girls seat and lucky seven seat post from a $5 donor bike that I found at a garage sale last year. I will either use the correct up-side-down style stem or a Torrington stem (which is sometimes found on bikes of this era). My objective is to build a mostly stock bike while using a few custom ideas to give it an stylish art deco look.
DSCN1225.JPG
DSCN1224.JPG
DSCN1223.JPG
DSCN1226.JPG

Last edited:
I did a quick mock-up using an original set of prewar drop center wheels with the original maroon paint and big cream Fat Franks. I like these wheels because they have the unusual Morrow hubs that ride so smoothly. Definitely has that cool art deco look already!
DSCN1214.JPG
DSCN1215.JPG
DSCN1216.JPG
DSCN1217.JPG

Last edited:
I have already located and purchased a parts bike that has a lot of the pieces I will need to make this bike correct (fenders, chainguard, skirt guards, etc). When I posted pictures of this build on my Class I entry build-off page (Homemade Shine), I had some very nice feedback. But also something I never expected. A great big call-out goes out to Guitar Carl! He saw my Elgin and graciously offered up an impossible-to-find correct tank for this bike. Blew me away! He is a top-notch person in my book. I cannot thank him enough! YOU'RE THE BEST, CARL!
IMG_20200616_111251001.jpg
IMG_20200616_111310539.jpg
IMG_20200616_111322838.jpg

Last edited:
Those bars would fit on deven_science's 32" wheel bike! They certainly overpower this one.
He can have them! Unless I cut these up to make some custom "stupid" bars! Which might happen. But it's funny how my 33" early Sting Ray bars look great on everything! At least I think they do.

Last edited:
index.php

Your crazy bars seem similar to these that came on my Kustom Kruiser. First ride I tried to execute a tight turn at very slow speed and almost dumped it. Fun for cruising but can be "twitchy" at slow speed. :giggle:

index.php

Your crazy bars seem similar to these that came on my Kustom Kruiser. First ride I tried to execute a tight turn at very slow speed and almost dumped it. Fun for cruising but can be "twitchy" at slow speed. :giggle:
You're exactly right. Those bars can be down right dangerous. That's why I like my 33" wide ape hanger bars. They're still wide but they put the grips at shoulder height and facing outward (instead of waist height and facing rearwards). That provides maximum control and maneuverability at any speed. But I'm not sure if I can use apes on this prewar Elgin. Just wouldn't look right. That's why I am considering piecing together a crazy set similar to those Shelby Air Flow/Hiawatha Arrow bars.

Did some hand sanding on the tank yesterday. Got the edge straightened out, but I still have to massage the dents out (but it's coming along nicely). I am going to try to save the rusty horn and actually make it function. Hopefully, I can make that happen.
DSCN1242.JPG
DSCN1256.JPG

Ragin' cool, particularly those original fancy dress parts!

What the heck is that thing inside the tank?

Latest posts

Back