A Strong Signal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok strong signal...five bars ...Gee it named itself. ha ha. Ok just sticking some parts on it and wondering what direction to go. Should be finishing the Hawthorne ,but I'm real curious about this one. So tell me what you think so far. Like the seat post...hate the seat post ...strut rods down to the axel from the seat ...cut the angle part off and do a regular seat post .....need some ideas on this one.

1002.jpg

1003.jpg

I really like the seatpost, very creative. Do you ever have problems with a big seat wanting hinge on the seatpost? I actually had to add a screw through the collar and the tube to keep mine from rotating...

Hey Uncle Stretch im not really diggin the seat post, i think make a straight seat post and move the bottom bracket back towards the back wheel for that stretch look. The seat post just looks like a liability to me.

Trike it felt pretty secure. I had to use the right seat clamp the first one was for a seat with two wires/springs and it wouldnt get tight. A set screw or something like that into the seatpost really dosent hurt much way back there.
And Maddog we arnt cutting a fairly rare frame, to move the seatpost tube back. This was just a suggestion on the seat position. If i cut the angle part off ...which i might do then it will just look like a plain bike...got a bunch of them. :wink:

i dont like the seat / bars (i do like the seat truss idea though, maybe with springs too :D )

love the wheels/tires :D

id like to see something like what stepper's got on his (wifes) easton for the bars and seat

ela_easton_5.jpg

necessaryevil said:
Well, I found the correct reproduction tank for it, but it'll cost you a few bucks :shock:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Reproduction-1 ... 7C294%3A50
I saw that the other day. That guy must really think he has something. I could glass one up myself alot cheaper than that especially since this bike didn't come with a tank.

Hey ccr your forgetting that im 58 and have this large hump on the front of my shirt that stops me from doing alot of bent over riding. :cry: :cry: it was just a flip seat I had laying around . The wheels are a set built for a jc higgins . still to build ...maybe next or the one after that :roll: :roll:

Uncle Stretch said:
Hey ccr your forgetting that im 58 ...

didnt mean to get ya down, just giving my opinion :wink: and i understand the hump thing myself .. i thought thats what the double top bars are for, extra gut support :lol:

no real dislike for the seat itself, the seatpost just looks a little make-do as is to me (just my opinon) whattabout a 90' seatpost with the seat-to-axle struts that would look sharp ! especially if the struts had a little bit of curve to em to match the seat stays curves.

What is the seat post? some kinda stem? I would rather see a seatpost that has a curve for a better look. But that will be tough on that frame.

I thought about that but im afraid it would look like a short banana seat or something. I'm still up in the air about it. All the parts are just stuff to stick on it to give the illusion of a bike. A frame with a seat post would be hard to judge. will get some cool period stuff for it when i actually build it.

Yeah cman its one i built because it dosent have a clamp . its like a stem. ill run cut the angle part off and see what it looks like

they do make some trike seats that mount with a seat post up front and a sissy bars in the rear, but honestly the seats arent the coolest looking seats ive seen :roll:

58d58ac0.jpg

yeah I have one of those . Im not ready for the huge but seat yet. .............ok I cut the other part off.....I love my portabandsaw

2001.jpg

For what it’s worth I kind of liked the “Y” seat post. I mainly wanted to note though that the repop fiberglass tank is for the later 39-40 version of the Hawthorne 5-Bar. That version used frames either supplied by H.P. Snyder or Cleveland Welding. Monark was out of the MW Hawthorne picture by that time. The later frames do not share the same geometry of the earlier frames and the repop tank (or a real one) will not fit the earlier style frame.

The repop tank seems ambitiously priced and hasn’t sold yet but there are perhaps a dozen real tanks out there and probably at least 100 people who want one so a real tank would likely bring at least two grand even in today’s soft market.

Phil

Gee Phil dont you wish you had a couple of the original tanks. :wink: I think the problem with the y seat post was i welded the angle bar down too far . If I had it closer to the top it might not look so bad . I may try something else before i really build it. This is really just a mockup and trying to come up with a seat post i liked .

What size neck did you use? 21.15mm or 22.2? What about taking an old forged neck(Schwinn :mrgreen: ) that has some curve built into at the very top.

Hey clancy I took a 1 foot long piece of 7/8 pipe and cut an angle in the bottom and then welded a nut in the top and drilled it out where a 7/16 bolt would slide through then drilled and tapped one of those little stem angle things to 7/16 ..went to ace and bought a 12'' 7/16 bolt and screwed it together. Worked reall good. Just like a big stem.

BrigmasterA said:
I kinda liked the angle post. In fact, i may do something similar sometime...
If you have a seat post clamp which i didnt, they are simple to make. Cut a angled chunk out of the side ...bend it over and weld it back and then sand/grind it smooth. Made several for bikes i had. They look alot better because the bolt head i have isnt there.

Latest posts

Back