A yellow bicycle with words on it

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This afternoon I decided to check the local online market place and a yellow bike with words on it came up for sale an hour earlier. I am over biked but it was cheap, as in real cheap. I'm a skinflint. Cheap and skinflint are like a magnet and steel; the attraction is strong. So I bought it. The frame and tank are steel, the tank is fully welded to the frame. Don't have a clue as to who manufactured it. The chain plates are a little rusty and I'm sure that a half tub of bearing grease is needed. The bell works swell. The rear hub is a KT which I think is short for KrapTastic. Parts? Build off material? Jump the Grand Canyon on it? Time will tell.....

Sellers photo because I put it in the garage before it occurred to me to photo it.

Cruzan rat.jpg

I'm thinking it was these guys who did the marketing, but doesn't seem like they made the bike themselves
http://www.reisigl.com/portfolio-mobile.phpWhen I searched Cruzan Rum bike, I got an image of that bike, but can't find it specifically on their site, only other Cruzan promotions.

Factory or custom shop built it. I did a little Google searching and saw 500 of these were made.
Unique like that in my book usually means to not mess with the spec if in that kind of shape. If/When sold, that's a great selling point.

This may seem contrary to my statement above because Schwinn had Summit build a limited number of 22" Schwinn Cruiser Supreme frames each year they offered them in that size (1,000 IIRC). I kept it largely original until about five years ago, stripping off all of the clapped-out OE parts and instead of rebuilding it to the original spec that was not superb to begin with, it was modified to something I want to ride and will last a lot longer. I'll probably never sell this frame because it fits and in the standard cruiser realm, there are very few that fit me.

20220707_125823.jpg

I'm thinking it was these guys who did the marketing, but doesn't seem like they made the bike themselves
http://www.reisigl.com/portfolio-mobile.phpWhen I searched Cruzan Rum bike, I got an image of that bike, but can't find it specifically on their site, only other Cruzan promotions.
Unique like that in my book usually means to not mess with the spec if in that kind of shape. If/When sold, that's a great selling point.

This may seem contrary to my statement above because Schwinn had Summit build a limited number of 22" Schwinn Cruiser Supreme frames each year they offered them in that size (1,000 IIRC). I kept it largely original until about five years ago, stripping off all of the clapped-out OE parts and instead of rebuilding it to the original spec that was not superb to begin with, it was modified to something I want to ride and will last a lot longer. I'll probably never sell this frame because it fits and in the standard cruiser realm, there are very few that fit me.

View attachment 200548

There was also a step through bike in the promotion and it is a dead ringer for a Nirve. I did find a frame at an EU custom cruiser site that is almost exactly like this except it fits a a 26 x 2.30 tire which wouldn't fit my frame. The promotion was in 2017 so they may have widened the stays since then. There was also a Miller Lite promo that used this frame.

Build quality is really mixed. The frame, seat, and pedals are pretty nice but the rest of the build consists pretty generic parts.

I'm not going to do anything with it anytime soon due to too many other projects to finish first. Probably give it a major service though. Promo bikes, around here anyways, largely don't fetch higher prices. The ones that I see priced above the usual cruisers stay for sale for a long time. I got this one for about the price of a set of tires (which are newer, have been replaced) and only three miles from home. I could make a decent flip profit on it.

Latest posts

Back