Acid. Reborn (finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you think about this speedometer, hit or miss?
B4C58150-CF5C-4FDF-8CA8-5A3ECD3DDD3A.jpeg
94235C9C-C64A-4DDD-A3AD-377297F4D693.jpeg
0594179B-33BD-400C-8EA1-3DF8F6382E69.jpeg

I like that it’s small and the scale of the velocity is appropriate. But not sure about the shape. Maybe something else would be better?
48D4748D-B827-4ABE-9AEC-DBA7C2811598.jpeg
1346AB37-0358-46F8-B0EE-3E0C0ED865F1.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm still amazed by the fact, that with all the fab work going on, this is still a clear class 1 build! :praise: :113:
Rat'on and get her done! 😎🤘

I don't see it any different than that killer bolt on MTB rear suspension that was from way back. Or honestly the bolt-on rear suspension I did for Flexy in BO6. This one is much more complex, but still strictly bolt-on.

This is such a wild and crazy build. Love seeing all of the experimentation and backyard engineering going into this. Fun build!

Wiring the projectors
1716599E-3651-44C4-B967-C274119865B9.jpeg

Spraying spots that were hard to reach with the grinder, or not suitable to grind
32CBF3C3-3BBA-4FBD-837D-994FBD70D944.jpeg
3CBB8A1A-24D6-4C7F-AFBF-709E1D381879.jpeg

D3C75206-2E18-4115-9008-4BF302B43BE3.jpeg

The tank plate seems to be made from stainless… Bummer. Will probably re-do it in plain steel.
I'd also like to get the handlebar lower, slammed. The fork is acting up though.
Still undecided about the yellow.
476498D0-2EE7-4D65-802A-2309D77AA2C6.jpeg

Also thinking about adding text to the tank. Maybe in yellow. I could use a curlier font, or something angular? Sorry about the messy background
20230725.png

Last edited:
The paint on the fork looks great with the rest of the bike! :thumbsup:

I noticed in this picture that the chain is very close to the tire. Have you tested shifting the rear derailleur yet?

242777-32CBF3C3-3BBA-4FBD-837D-994FBD70D944.jpeg
Thank you!
You are absolutely correct!
The chain is on the smaller chainring in the front in the photos, wich I will not be able to use. I can use only the bigger ring

The last graphic has a European Middle Ages look, fitting of this gnarly metal machine! Looks like something Vikings would have ridden if they had made their living by land, not by sea.

Wiring the projectors
View attachment 242630

Spraying spots that were hard to reach with the grinder, or not suitable to grind
View attachment 242627View attachment 242628
View attachment 242631

The tank plate seems to be made from stainless… Bummer. Will probably re-do it in plain steel.
I'd also like to get the handlebar lower, slammed. The fork is acting up though.
Still undecided about the yellow.
View attachment 242629

Also thinking about adding text to the tank. Maybe in yellow. I could use a curlier font, or something angular? Sorry about the messy background
View attachment 242632
Something closer to the Maxxis font? Since those logos are so prominent

Thanks for your input!
The last graphic has a European Middle Ages look, fitting of this gnarly metal machine! Looks like something Vikings would have ridden if they had made their living by land, not by sea.
Love the analogy! That was my first choice.
Something closer to the Maxxis font? Since those logos are so prominent
I get your point.. Maybe the tire logos draw to much attention. But they are cool. At least I might cover up the white 'Minion' logos. I've never been a fan of the white model name font, too cartoonish.

Maybe I'll rebrand the tires, albeit with the Blackside font, similar to the original Hoosier logo but not identical. It looks so mean with Hoosier tires!
20230726 Hoosier.png

These last trembling days of the RRBO18, so hectic. So much I want to do and so little time. I can't believe it's been almost three months, albeit my somewhat late start.

The first font fit pretty well without any mods. The third one needed to be modified to shape
20230726 acid tank.png

Besides the digital work above, I've been tinkering with the profile of the bike, i.e. the cockpit location. (Cable housings and brake hoses are not routed nicely yet).

Slammed front: remove crown nut, lowers the fork upper 10mm. Remove stem and mount bar below the fork upper, lowers an additional 40mm and lengthens 40mm. Turn bar 180 for downward backsweep, lowers 20mm more. In total 70mm lower, 40mm longer.

I also wired the front chainguide/2nd derailleur to the left hand shifter, so its trimmable.

Before
431FBB6C-4F47-4009-9B87-CDFB79F93262.jpeg

After
EEDB7DB2-33A7-4497-84F7-AD04F504FBD6.jpeg
10B2B8F2-7E06-4344-971D-70F8B550E7DC.jpeg
10E78BCB-0416-4429-8BBB-99EBF52F931E.jpeg

Plans for these last days:

Must do:
1.) Make a rear brake caliper mount
2.) Better secure the bar in its new location

Want to do:
3.) Remove the yellow from the swing, keeping the small red details only.
4.) Make the Acid logo
5.) Get the idler system mounted
6.) Find a new location for the speedometer. It must sit low and not add height to the cokpit. If I'm not possible to figure out a location, I may not use it

May do:
7.) Cover the tire logos and/or add other tire logos
8.) Add toggle switches for the headlights

Last edited:
You have created a really cool ride here, hbn! Utmärkt arbete! :113:

I actually like the bars in the up position. It opens up your space in the front end to better highlight the cool stuff happening there. To me the slammed bars take away from that look, rather than adding.

And, what do the wires that extend from your grips to the seat post do? Is that just an aid for staging? Make sure you remove for the actual photos. :wink1:

hbn raised bar.jpg

hbn bars slammed.jpg

Priorities? Don't get caught without getting your Finished Thread up before you go to bed on Sunday night!

hbn job list.png

Plans for these last days:

Must do:
1.) Make a rear brake caliper mount
2.) Better secure the bar in its new location

Want to do:
3.) Remove the yellow from the swing, keeping the small red details only.
4.) Make the Acid logo
5.) Get the idler system mounted
6.) Find a new location for the speedometer. It must sit low and not add height to the cokpit. If I'm not possible to figure out a location, I may not use it

May do:
7.) Cover the tire logos and/or add other tire logos
8.) Add toggle switches for the headlights

You got this, sleep is over rated anyway.

I really like the floating logo!

From the left side it looks like filigree. :cool: Any other font would just look backwards but that one seems to work.
242934-20230726-acid-tank.png

Maybe add something between the 'd' and the headtube to fill part of the space and further disguise the letters. :39:

You have created a really cool ride here, hbn! Utmärkt arbete! :113:

I actually like the bars in the up position. It opens up your space in the front end to better highlight the cool stuff happening there. To me the slammed bars take away from that look, rather than adding.

And, what do the wires that extend from your grips to the seat post do? Is that just an aid for staging? Make sure you remove for the actual photos. :wink1:

View attachment 242794

View attachment 242795

Priorities? Don't get caught without getting your Finished Thread up before you go to bed on Sunday night!

View attachment 242796
@OddJob you’re such an asset to this forum. Again you give sound, dedicated and detailed feedback. Thank you!! And thanks for the Swedish cheer 😁

I see what you mean, looks a bit stuffy in the front.. ☹️ so I wasted some precious hours of work

The wires are just stabilizing the bike while I work

Back