Adjusting a Shimano 3 Speed Hub - Help!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I have this 3 speed Shimano hub on my RRBBO bike and it's eating my lunch!

Somehow or another I got the indexing goofed up and second gear doesn't work right. First and third work great, but when you put it in second and pedal, it keeps jumping around like it's looking for a gear. If you apply a little pressure to the shifter while in second, the jumping around stops.

Anybody have any ideas on why this won't stay in second?

Thanks!

what where you mucking with that threw the indexing off?

If I remember correctly from the last time I adjusted mine..
All adjusting is done in second gear.

disconect the set nut/cable clamp where the cable mounts
to the indicator rod chain.Or if it has a threaded rod adjuster..back it off so you can dis-conect the indicator rod from the shifter cable..

also start off buy filling the Hub with the correct oil..
maybe it's a little low.

(1) I think I threaded the indicator rod all the way in..
(2) put the bike in second gear
(3) thread the indicator rod "back out" 1.5 turns
(4) conect the adjustment nut/cable clamp back down snug where it mounts at the indicator rod chain.

someone please correct me if I am wrong!
but I seem to remember that is what I remember... :roll:
and how I did it last time.

It worked good for me..

as well I would support you in sending a PM to "vancruiser"
he's the King when it comes to 3 speeds.

Kev.

If it's one of those older 3 speed Shimano hubs, you need to put the shifter in 2nd gear and look at the axle to make sure that the red line is aligned with the "N" on the mechanism housing. Adjust the tension on the cable until it reaches that position. Sturmey's need to be in 3rd gear to adjust cable tension.

Have fun. :mrgreen:

I can't remember now what I did to goof it up. I guess I probably loosened the nut back on the part that connects the cable to the hub. This hub came off an old 80s-90s Huffy. Check out these images:

100_2878.jpg

100_2879.jpg

100_2882.jpg

100_2884.jpg

I'll also mention that I'm using a master link in my chain, but if that were causing trouble I would think it wouldn't feel right in any gear.

One quick question Rat Rod. When you installed the barrell on the axle did you push it all the way on (till it bottomed out) and then tighten the set bolt. Cause usually that is just the problem I have found. Troy

fattroy said:
One quick question Rat Rod. When you installed the barrell on the axle did you push it all the way on (till it bottomed out) and then tighten the set bolt. Cause usually that is just the problem I have found. Troy

Hmmm....good question. I don't think I ever removed the barrell. I may have to loosen the set bolt and see if I can screw it on tighter.

Thanks!

someone mucked with that at one time or another. there should be a thin jam nut that tightens aganst the shifter mech body that threads onto the axle. try removing the cable and tightening the body till it stops. then back it off till it is straight with the cable and install. then adjust the cable as you normally would yes put it in second although with your shifter it looks like you just adjust till you can see the end of the rod. when shifting is there any sort of N that apears in the window?

Back