Albitre chainless

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This bike started as a bare frame of a Raleigh Marathon I believe. I wanted to create a shaft drive bike like the old Columbia you see in the background, as I'm a little uneasy about riding a 111 year old bike. So I tried to make it resemble a safety bike of that late Victorian era. Gears came from a quad trasmission and it was quite alot of work to mate the gears, bearings, races and shaft while still allowing disassembly and adjustment. Frame was butchered to make way for the drivetrain, arched twin top tube added, bars are 90 year old track bars, forks and modified cranks are ??? Wheels are steel clad wood 28" with single tube tires. I changed the geometry a bit, lugs are coppered and patina. Its not quite finished yet, still looking for cork grips and the right seat.
DSC01945.jpg

DSC01946.jpg

DSC01947.jpg

DSC01948.jpg

DSC01949.jpg

Indeed nice, kind of find shaft driven ones cool but I wonder if they were more trouble than chain driven which led to them no longer being made.

Once chain technology improved, it was no longer worth the effort to pursue chainless designs. Heavier, more expensive, harder to adjust, limited ratios, etc... so they're pretty cool!

Keeps the gears in constant mesh but allows them to pull away from eachother if they bind. Like if a pebble gets lodged in there.

Im a little unclear with the gears, it looks like with that set up youd have to pedal backwards or is there another gear in the back? :shock: Sorry about being so forward im just trying to wonder how its done with one direct shaft.

LarzBahrs said:
Im a little unclear with the gears, it looks like with that set up youd have to pedal backwards or is there another gear in the back? :shock: Sorry about being so forward im just trying to wonder how its done with one direct shaft.

I was looking at that and wondering too, it looks like youd have to pedal backwards to go forward. I'd think the rear gear on the shaft would have to mesh 'behind' the rear axel, instead of in fornt of it, to pedal forward to go forward?

Looks good, a bit like the bike Major Taylor rode in 1899:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9bztHRA6f4M/T ... lor-11.jpg

There are still shaft driven bikes being made and sold, when done correctly it is an ideal city bike.
http://hight3ch.com/post/chainless-bike/
Mine broke down because the gears weren't properly hardened. Cheap -bleep-.

And eh, you can just pedal forward, but get a pair of rearview mirrors.
Read all comments too see if anyone else noticed, yep, the last one.
You could extend the shaft past the rear axle and put the gear on facing forward, like this one:
http://oldbike.wordpress.com/1921-fn-fa ... ve-cardan/
And maybe drop the idea of the springs, gears tend to push each other aside.

That is truly a work of art.

If you wanted to faux patina the springs and new hardware, it can be done very convincingly; look up videos for relic-ing guitar hardware, they have quite the system.

Usually, a good sanding with lighter paper and a soak in lemon juice or some other acid does the trick.

Yes, you do have to pedal the bike backwards. I built this one originally for a bike art show, and wanted something different to stand out amongst the tall bikes and swingbikes. Its a trip to see it riding as it pedals in reverse, coaster brake forward. I thought of putting the front shaft gear internal relative to the crank gear, which would bring it back to normal pedaling. But it would need two universal joints to correct the angle for the rear. Also the bevel gears I have are both unidirectional and only continue to mesh properly in reverse for about half a revolution, just enough to operate the brake. Just makes the bike a little different than others, but as you can tell its not my everyday rider. Heres a shot of my Columbia, which places the shaft gear on the inside, also the gears are all straight cut.
DSC01643-1.jpg

Back