Aluminum Cruiser Frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigcam59 said:
The OP Cruiser and the Genesis Onyx 29er are both aluminum Cruisers that Walmart sells.

I knew about the Onyx and thought about it but I didn't want to deal with the 29" wheels.

Now the op cruiser might be an idea.

I had a mad wagon that was a old school looking aluminium cruiser frame from the late 80's or early 90's. It was lighter than my old cruisers and looked like a Schwinn DX more or less.

dos cruiser said:
I had a mad wagon that was a old school looking aluminium cruiser frame from the late 80's or early 90's. It was lighter than my old cruisers and looked like a Schwinn DX more or less.

I just came across one of those frames a couple weeks ago... It was way cool, it did look like a DX frame and was real light, I'd never seen one before.... I'm thinking about doing a swap with the guy, but I've got so much on my plate right now... and there's no rush this guy will be holding on to it for awhile...

I have a 1999 Schwinn black Panther. Aluminum canti frame with mostly aluminum parts. It's fast and light. Came stock with a single speed freewheel but it has bosses for brakes, a der hanger and cable guides. faux carbon fibre fender treatment too.

It fits me pretty well. The main downside is the feeble rear rim brake under the chain stays, the only brake. It is not good for emergency stops.

I always thought it could be a better bike if Schwinn would have decided what it was supposed to be. As a single speed, the extra brake mounts, der hanger and cable guides are a distraction. As a multi gear bike, they didn't include the gears. It was rather expensive originally ($550 or so) and then to drop hundreds more to add gears? That didn't make sense either.

There are USA custom titanium frame builders who sell ti canti frames. Huh, if price isn't an issue.

Rick

panther.jpg

Ok I had to join the board just for this thread. I have (lemme count this in my head, here..) 4 Schwinn aluminum cruisers, (one of them was a Walmart,) an Electra, two K2s, and my latest, a Trek Drift:

7376586014_dc0e9d80f0_z.jpg

Picked up on Craigslist as a 3-speed for $100, removed everything. Added a Schwinn alloy fork, titanium ISIS bottom bracket, FSA Gossamer crankset, custom built those wheels on red rims, American Classic seatpost, Dura Ace rear derailleur, twist-shifters, Kenda Flame tires, (the rear is a 26x3.0) and custom-mounted a rear disk brake:

7376585580_cd3d10c8fa_z.jpg

It weighs about 25 or 26 lbs and the first week I rode it 55 miles to New Jersey and back. (I live in Queens.) Comfortable and fast.

By the way, the Walmart cruisers? You can't beat them for the best deal on an alloy cruiser to convert:

5924188235_ae422b29a9_z.jpg

5924189003_7c415a46dd_z.jpg

5924188607_cbf21f68ea_z.jpg

Yes, those are 18-spoke wheels on vintage Campagnolo Tipo large-flange hubs. I also build custom wheels.

5924753348_f3d15ab7f9_z.jpg

There are only three things you need to keep in mind when building up a Walmart Schwinn:
-The forks are 1-inch and 1-inch alloy forks are almost impossible to find in 26"
-You need a euro bottom bracket converter if you want to use a quality bottom bracket (like titanium)
-And if you want a front derailleur, you need to mount a cable stop using a band clamp near the bottom bracket.
Apart from that, at least the seat post is a 27.2.

Just thought I'd share that, thanks!

I might as well share my Electra alloy cruiser:

6023723909_9b84d444b4_z.jpg

You can't beat Topline cranks with a titanium bottom bracket for ultralight:

6024278124_451120b2b8_z.jpg

I always use alloy BMX handlebars, (better seating position) and if I can find them, Cannondale aluminum Pepperoni forks. This one was threaded, so I used a blue alloy headset.

6023727441_0dc4d041a1_z.jpg

More 18-spoke wheels with Campy Tipo hubs:

6023725865_be804bb446_z.jpg

Ok I'm going to try and restrain myself, let me know if you want to see any others.
These are my passion, I love these bikes!

I have a 1999 Schwinn black Panther. Aluminum canti frame with mostly aluminum parts. It's fast and light. ...

Dang, thread is ages old now. Hope somebody's still reading this every now and then.

My Schwinn Black Panther just broke. Bought in 2005, but looking at yours, it COULD be that I bought a NOS 6 year old bike...

How about yours? Still alive?

What happened? I'm kinda tall, so I bought a 400 mm (and lightweight) seat post. Somehow the lever seems to have been too big: The seat tube broke just above the weld seam of the top tube. Dunno if this is repairable. I don't think so...

Man, I LOVED this bike!!! And mine was (and is) NOT standard in ANY respect. Basically what's still original is the frame & fork and (for some reason) the stem + headset. FSA cranks. In between I had been using the der hanger to fit a derailleur and a 7 gear sprocket to the original wheels. Now, it's got an 8 gear Alfine hub. Aluminum handlebars. And it had fender skirts, aftermarket... Stuff like that. Bottom Brake replaced by a real good BMX thingy and that defines a stopper!

Next thing up was: I have a new aluminum fork (black) with disc mount (plus Ahead-headset, plus stem). And Nukeproof front disc hub (high flange) I just mounted to DMR DeeVee rims. Worse: I got a Rohloff hub since a couple weeks, matching rim.

And just now the frame fails!!!! I was making plans for the next decades and she just goes and dies on me!

Anyone of you have a similar experience?

Uhm... Anyone of you who's got a "spare" Schwinn Black Panther he/she might think about selling?

) Next thing up was: I have a new aluminum fork (black) with disc mount (plus Ahead-headset, plus stem). And Nukeproof front disc hub (high flange) I just mounted to DMR DeeVee rims. Worse: I got a Rohloff hub since a couple weeks, matching rim.

And just now the frame fails!!!! I was making plans for the next decades and she just goes and dies on me!

Anyone of you have a similar experience?

That's a shame about your frame, Dagamba. Good news is, you can run that wheelset on a different frame, so it's not like you gotta send the new Rohloff off to the scrapper's with the Panther....

I never owned that frame, but my experiences with aluminum frames-- both my own, my wife's, friends', and customers'-- has led me to avoid them. To be sure, steel frames fail too, but it seems they are far more resilient, more repairable, and basically better in every way. :rockout: Am biased? I guess s, but it's a bias I've chosen after living with some aluminum bikes in the past. Not for me. I've never blasted a steel seattube by running a long seatpost in it. Maybe you'll develop a bias as well?

I had an aluminum Electra for awhile. I did not like the bike, but the frame seemed pretty decent. It was reasonably light, the welding was very good and unlike the wheels and the cranks the frame seemed to hold up to use.

The condo I stayed at in Hawaii provided a pair of aluminum Trek cruisers, and I've got to admit that I liked the one I rode.

I'm with Bicycle808 though regarding weight. It just seems to me that there are too many features of a cruiser, from the geometry, to the tires, to the components that make them rotten bikes for fast acceleration or hill climbing, and those are the main benefits of a light bike. On flat ground at under 10 mph, (which is where cruisers shine), it doesn't really matter if you have a 45 lb bike or a 25 lb bike.

Plus, it just seems wrong aesthetically. Cruisers were really meant to be made of steel.

I have 2 mens electras and 3 womens electras here. all 26" cruisers. there is a very noticeable difference in weight between aluminum and steel, they use different wheels with aluminum vs steel frames, and aluminum 3 pc crank on the aluminum frame vs steel 1 pc on the steel frames. im 220 lbs and both frames feel solid to me. the aluminum framed bikes are lighter and you do notice it when taking off from a stop. I stripped down the 1 womens bike and was surprised how light the frame is.

@Bicycle808: You know what? I => AM <= biassed!!!!! The Schwinn is my only aluminum bike!!!!! I got 3 others that are steel, but no cruisers. My favorite material is Columbus Nivacrom... So hard to come by that I had to give up the idea of having a cruiser made from that material (which probably would add less than 1 lb to my cruiser).

The Schwinn was a once-in-a-lifetime experiment to build a lightweight cruiser for everyday use with everything it needs to travel at way more than 20 mph in the city, plus have all the protection it needs when riding through snow (ducktails, fenderskirts) with the fattest possible tires, plus a COOL ride.

Problem is: I don't like the current design of the Electras. I bought my wife an Aluminum "Coaster" with the old frame shape. Beautiful and matte-blue. OF COURSE now with 8-speed internal gears, U-Brake (front), lightweight 3-pc. cranks, lightweight aluminum handlebars (just that alone saves 2-3 lbs!!), stem, seatpost, etc.. 29 lb. WITH mirrors (polycarbon), rack, fenders and 2.35" tires.

BTW: The old Electra Coaster saddle is really fat and extremely lightweight, way below 1 lb. The Coaster's fenders and rims, as well! Not available as spare parts. Doh.

Chatting away...

I think I found some frame builders who repair aluminum frames. I'll see if I can just get the seat post replaced. And the whole thing painted, again. Black isn't too difficult.

Last edited:
I actually prefer aluminum frames! Stiff, good looks, lightweight, and easy to weld. Provided you can get it to a t.I.g welder. Drill small holes at the ends of the crack before repair.
You cannot stress an alloy frame, I.e.: stretch or compress the rear dropouts. It will crack. You cannot run bearings sloppy, it will crack. You cannot spill soda on a raw frame, it will stain!
All that being said, I do ride steel, but only for road bikes.
My daily rider is aluminum.

@mikeeebikey:
And where'd you get your (obviously, from the Avatar!) aluminum cruiser?

That dics brakes you got in front?

Yeah, this was the experience with my cruiser: Aluminum IS a lot stiffer and a LOT lighter than steel. I mean, HAD I been able to get myself a cruiser frame made of Columbus Nivacrom, this COULD have been just 1 lb. more than my Aluminum (1 lb more, plus probably more than 1000 bucks more than my Schwinn). Compare to the usual average Hi-Ten lead water pipe cruisers, and you'll shave off at least 5 lb. for a 200$ premium if you just use an aluminum frame.

No, this frame was NOT made to be used with a 400 mm seatpost... So, that part is my fault.

Let's see if I can find somebody that would weld in a new seat tube... So much for "easy to weld": I can't find ANYBODY up to now, who'd do that. Personally, I think, replacing the complete seat tube is a more stable option than welding the crack.

Yeah, right, and @rickpaulos:
What I had wanted to say all along: You said "it could have been a better bike if Schwinn would have decided what it was supposed to be."

The Panther very obviously SCREAMS: "CUSTOMIZE ME!!!" all over. That was what this bike was supposed to be. OK, it IS a bit steep at more than 500$, but people who customize usually don't ask. The Panther was never meant to stay stock. Add a 7 gear freewheel to the thread in back and a cheap (black) Shimano derailleur, and off you go. I think, that operation was less than 50$ and 15 minutes. I mean the bike was just ASKING for it. That was the first step... See where I got myself now...

@mikeeebikey:
And where'd you get your (obviously, from the Avatar!) aluminum cruiser?

That dics brakes you got in front?

Yeah, this was the experience with my cruiser: Aluminum IS a lot stiffer and a LOT lighter than steel. I mean, HAD I been able to get myself a cruiser frame made of Columbus Nivacrom, this COULD have been just 1 lb. more than my Aluminum (1 lb more, plus probably more than 1000 bucks more than my Schwinn). Compare to the usual average Hi-Ten lead water pipe cruisers, and you'll shave off at least 5 lb. for a 200$ premium if you just use an aluminum frame.

No, this frame was NOT made to be used with a 400 mm seatpost... So, that part is my fault.

Let's see if I can find somebody that would weld in a new seat tube... So much for "easy to weld": I can't find ANYBODY up to now, who'd do that. Personally, I think, replacing the complete seat tube is a more stable option than welding the crack.
That is an old, old, Mountain research piece, that has been I daily service since 1990ish, when I got it. Very pricey at the time, but I have only bled it once! It cable actuated hydraulic, sealed, and aluminum disced, works fantastic!
My frame is a Dyno Enduro 7, had since new, not many around! GT/Dyno also made Moto 4s, very simular frame and just as rare.
Diamond Back made some pretty nice alloy cruiser frames a while back, on my list to check out.
Mongoose actually made some, but I have only come acrossed womens, on my list to check out. The goose has a springer with bosses for V brakes.
Those are the real pricelist bikes, I have a lengthy list of, "pricelust," frames!

Last edited:
Wow, an old GT/Dyno! Didn't know they made these! There seem to be a lot of different beautiful and rare cruisers around in U.S.! I also saw a really beautiful Marin cruiser, once. Only once. Now I regret that I'm living on the other side of "the great pond". I mean, I had my Schwinn imported from U.S. when it was new and still available. Nothing like that sold in Europe.

No chance for talking a passing Marin/Dyno/DB/Schwinn rider into selling his bike. There is no such thing as a passing cool cruiser, here. Craigslist and Ebay also have their difficulties: I gotta get that stuff over the Atlantic in some way or other!

Importing yet another Schwinn is not an option, either: those new Schwinn "cup holder" frames are just YUK. Nothing else I can get hold of, here, except one dealer that sells Electra. Felt, maybe, but they're ugly and heavy. And many of these are just way too cruiserish to be a daily driver.

That was the nice thing about the Schwinn: It retained the geometry of the ol' '57 Schwinn clunker frame, the stuff, mountain biking started with. These old things had a completely normal geometry and were made for everyday use... They threw them down the slopes, back then! And got them up the mountain, too!

Low riders, rods, choppers 'n stuff are really cool and I'm building on one, too. But I had the slight hopes that I could convert a cruiser to my daily driver, as well. I do hope that I don't have to scratch that dream due to lack of spare frames...

Back