Am I Nuts Or What?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I'm being crazy or not but I am going to enter in a bike race in April that is 35 kms long which is almost 22 miles. You say, thats not that crazy!. Oh but I'm doing it on my 53 CCM that I am Klunkifying :D The race is mostly dirt roads and rail trails. I am looking at putting drum brakes front and back with a 3 speed and some dirt bike hand brake levers and cables. I have been told if I attempt this race with a coaster brake I will surely die. I really have no interest in doing this on something newer, I'm kind of trying to make a statement and push the vintage bike scene. I talked to the organizer about adding a vintage class and he is all for it. He immediately said it reminded him of all the guys on Klunkers. I'm gonna have to start training for it pretty soon so I don't kill myself. Here is what I'm working with.

Bikes3342.jpg

Bikes3343.jpg

Bikes3341.jpg

And looking at lacing the drum hubs to a pair of these I recently scored
Bikes5044.jpg

hey rob, that sounds like fun.

oh yes a statement you will make.
best of luck bud. love the araya's

I say DO IT!!!! 8)
as long as you're physically prepared, you can finish that ride (I'll bet my 3speed you don't even finish last!)

put a bell on your handle-bars, and give anyone you might pass a little chime to let them know how WE ROLL!!!

best of luck!!

Hey Rob, Do you know what the route is already? If you do and you live close to it train on the route as much as you can. Find other routes that's tuffer with hills and shape turns and the like. you'll do good just ride all winter. Good luck.

Well my cousin did the ride this year so he knows but some of the trail is private property and only open for riders the day of the ride. :cry: Believe me, I would have been practicing the course for sure if I could.

I may take you up on the offer to join. Just looking to see what I could ride... safest bet would be my girlfriends mountain bike. But I would like to add a vintage to give you a hand promoting the scene... possibly my CCM if I can get it going by then...

BrunneCustoms said:
I may take you up on the offer to join. Just looking to see what I could ride... safest bet would be my girlfriends mountain bike. But I would like to add a vintage to give you a hand promoting the scene... possibly my CCM if I can get it going by then...

That would be awesome!

we did a 26 mile last summer on the 21 speed hybrids. most of the course was relatively flat and would be easy for a 3 speed, however the back side of the course (when you are getting somewhat tired) had some major hills. The swiftys were even talking about them at the final rest stop. No way would I have made it on a 3 speed vintage (I have one). We were down on the smallest chain ring and had one more rear cog at times, but we made it up all the hills. Mrs jerrykr remarked that she was proud of us that we never got off and walked.

take advantage of the rest stops. refresh with gatorade and pickles and stuff to recharge your body. Pay attention to what the swifty bike riders are doing and the event organizers offer. those serious riders may look sexy in spandex, but they do know what they are doing from a lot of experience.

I also say go for it on that bike if you know the course and what you are getting into. if it's flat, all you are looking at is a steady pedal and a slower time. If it's hilly, be sure that the people organizing the event have plenty of SAG Wagons to pick you up and haul you in if you get in over your head.

Research, then go for it! You will have fun and be glad you did.

Hey Rob, get Tony and gang out there to ride it with you!

I'd really like to see you on that other bike of yours, you know the one Miss Toronto blessed ..... :lol:
I've seen you ride the bright orange beast, 22 miles on the CCM will be a piece of cake!

Check the Kitchner Ontario post, Diceman may also wanna ride with you.

I'll be looking forward to the post on how well you did!
Chainy

back when i was 15 and thought my parents only goal in life was to make me unhappy, i ran away from home.
i actually skateboarded from brantford to hamilton via ancaster.(it's 1/2 hour in a car on the highway)
given brantfords 15mins this way of paris and hamiltons 15 mins further, its pretty much the same trip. made lots of friends while i was there, and it became a weekend tradition to ride our bmx's to hamilton,sometimes stoneycreek. (on the back roads without our parents permission)
i'm game, just for old time sakes.
you'll just have to remind me when the times getting closer.
i'll probably run the excerschwinn with some smaller tires and without the chainguard or wheel cover (to reduce weight).
its a 3 speed.

Chainsaw i do believe you are thinking of Larry with the Orange Fat Tire. Rob was out with us for beachcruise part 2 i believe with his daughter riding a couple vintage bannana seat bikes. Having said that it would be cool seeing multiple fat tire bikes doing a 22 mileride.

yyzmec said:
Chainsaw i do believe you are thinking of Larry with the Orange Fat Tire. Rob was out with us for beachcruise part 2 i believe with his daughter riding a couple vintage bannana seat bikes. Having said that it would be cool seeing multiple fat tire bikes doing a 22 mileride.

:oops: Wow Tony, You're right!
Sorry Rob! I need to stop posting so late or start thinking a little earlier! I'm so sorry! :oops:
But you should still make Tony ride with you! :mrgreen: Good luck in your training!

Haha! Thats ok Chainsaw. I would imagine you loose track of names of some guys when you ride with as many as you do.

Icy, I dont think your gonna wanna ride that beautiful bike. It gets pretty muddy on this race and your gonna need something you can ride hard for 2 hours. My cousin did it in April and he is a seasoned rider with a super light Specialized and he did it in an hour and 39 minutes ridin hard most of the time. This is no leasurely cruise by any means. I plan on being in a lot of pain during and after the race. :D

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

Back