AMF Muscle Find UPDATE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago i posted about finding this old AMF in a trashpile covered in vines where it was left to rot years ago. It was in very poor shape. Had to replace both rims and tires and seat. The chrome is fair but shined up alittle. Bike was sanded and primed before the red paint. Added a red/yellow new seat with matching NOS Western Flyer yellow grips and covered the rusty stem with yellow stem pad. Its not a show piece but a good daily rider. The hardest part of the redo was the frozen seat post. I never did get it completely out. I cut the post off and chiseled it away about 1 1/2 inches down in the frame then cut the new post off my desired height then clamped I also replaced the crank with a longer arm crank added a new chain and chainring.
za30-1.jpg

za45.jpg

[

Thats exactly the condition I used to find bikes in as a kid, I'd do the same thing, put 'em together ride 'em and have fun.

I can't find bikes in my area anymore that are reasonably priced from the 60's and 70's no matter what the condition is.

Even bikes as heavily rusted as yours was and being nothing more than a frame bring more than I can afford now.

If I could buy cool stuff for reasonable money I'd be doing more with bikes than I currently am.

Congrats on the bike and I hope to see your next find and project.

Nice work !

Love it ( well, other than the modern pedals, needs vintage ones to match :) , just my 2 cents

I have that same frame in the 'junk pile' waiting for a project, missing the guard though, might have to rethink it ...

Green Dragon said:
Nice work !

Love it ( well, other than the modern pedals, needs vintage ones to match :) , just my 2 cents

I have that same frame in the 'junk pile' waiting for a project, missing the guard though, might have to rethink it ...

I took your advice about the pedals. I still had the old origonal ones from my avatar AMF (i put rat traps on it) so i went and put those on the red bike to keep the vintage look.

Latest posts

Back