MBBO BAD INFLUENCE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did another test with the glitter paint. I used a black base coat this time and different clear. It got a similar amount of orange peel. It’s the glitter paint that orange peels. Then it accumulates with the clear. I think I might use a different metal flake paint. This can work with 2K clear but I don’t know.
View attachment 281684View attachment 281685View attachment 281686View attachment 281687View attachment 281688
I experimented with the glitter too. You can see it in my previous pic. Didn’t matter the combination it seemed to be the root of any anomalies I saw. Crackle, Orange peel, straight up adhesion failure

I’m thinking about something like this. It looks pretty good in their videos.
https://rothmetalflake.com/collections/rattle-bomb-kits/products/rattle-bomb-classic-kit-cherrie-pie
IMG_1823.png

Sometimes with these paints, I apply a coat every 10 minutes of I am mixing different base paint types. Acetone, urethane, xylene toluene.

Else it's a 4-7 day cure period in between paint types.

Sometimes with these paints, I apply a coat every 10 minutes of I am mixing different base paint types. Acetone, urethane, xylene toluene.

Else it's a 4-7 day cure period in between paint types.
That's what I do too. This glitter paint just isn't the easiest to work with. The guy that made the above video puts 3 coats of 2K clear over it and lets it dry. Then wet sand and 3 more coats of 2K clear, then wet sand and polish. Unless you burn through then it's more clear. I can do that but that's a heck of a lot of wet sanding I'd prefer to avoid on this bike. Plus I used up about 1/2 a can of the glitter paint on my test patches so I think it would take at least 3-4 more cans of that to cover. Cost and time wise I think it's going to be better to use a different product.

Latest posts

Back