Another B.T.R.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the rear triangle rotated today, I shortened the wheelbase by about 2" and raised the height by about 1.5". Also, just for fun, I made some handlebars out of a few pieces of bicycle handlebars welded together and to bolts which I just drop into the triple tree tubes...

img0723rw.jpg

img0726gf.jpg

img0728ve.jpg

I decided to try making a seat pan this afternoon, First I cut a template out of paper, traced it onto some scrap sheet metal I had, and cut it out.

img0740zd.jpg

Next, I very carefully and scientifically bent the piece to form the curves (i.e. found random round things around the shop to bend it against)

img0742td.jpg

I than made some tabs to strengthen and hold up the rear end and welded them on.

img0743sq.jpg

img0745ll.jpg

Not a whole lot of progress on the bike lately as I'm sort of waiting to buy the cvt before I do much more, I did finish up the seat pan though. I also got the frame mounts started.

dsc0005ut.jpg

dsc0011mk.jpg

dsc0015aq.jpg

dsc0018vk.jpg

I've also been learning how to hand stitch leather so I can make the cover for the seat when I'm ready.

dsc0029nw.jpg

Small update: I finally got the mountain bike shocks I ordered, took a long time to ship from China. Today I made some tabs and tacked them on, they are much stiffer and some what adjustable too. I think these will work fine...

img0807dj.jpg

With the way the front suspension works , moving the wheel forward and aft, does it change the handling (geometry) of the bike when it is activated?

g-ratter said:
With the way the front suspension works , moving the wheel forward and aft, does it change the handling (geometry) of the bike when it is activated?

It does, but I have enough trail that I don't have to worry about it getting squirrely and with the new shocks it barely moves, just enough to take the jolt out of big bumps at speed hopefully.

dsc0011mk.jpg

Heim Joints... has there ever been anything you build that doesn't involve a heim joints :D ha. Its looking great John, What kind of foam are you using on the seat pan?

topher said:
Heim Joints... has there ever been anything you build that doesn't involve a heim joints :D ha. Its looking great John, What kind of foam are you using on the seat pan?

Heims make it go faster, even without a motor....

I'm using closed cell foam gardening kneel pads for the seat.

K-dregg said:
Another fork question. Isn't there a risk that a bump pushes the fork backwards extending the fork springs instead of compressing them?

Fantastic build BTW.. :D

deorman said:
It can only go as far as the extension stop of the shock. :|

This ^^ as long as the shocks don't break. :shock:

Are you going to remount the shock mounts now with the mt bike shocks in there, so it doesn't kick the fork backwards? or is that just because there's no weight on the bike now

The way it is in the last picture I posted is the way it will stay, the bottom section of the fork is less angled than the top/ head tube but not by much, I also am guessing extra weight of motor, gas tank, rider, etc. will spring it forward a little.

Nice build you're doing.

I was wondering what front wheel hub you used, like the retro fins, possibly a motorcycle hub?

Back