ANOTHER RAT BEATER!!! NEW PIC 4/28

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked this up for free w/some others today. i am told it is a cleavland welding bike, probably a roadmaster. the frame will stay as is. all i am going to do is service the bearings, probably paint the wheels flat red or brown primer, going to try and use o.g. carlisle tires if the sidewalls will hold the new tubes! :D fork is bent, so i will throw a different one on w/truss rods. will throw some covering on the seat, either black vinyl or some deer leather i have left over.
DSCF9472.jpg

Re: ANOTHER RAT BEATER!!!

sweet find! hope you got a chain.. :wink:

Re: ANOTHER RAT BEATER!!!

here is the donor bike that i am going to use the fork from if i can't get the original one straight enough. i will use the truss rods also.
donorbike.jpg

Re: ANOTHER RAT BEATER!!! NEW PIC 4/27

swapped out the forks, had to end up running a 1.75 tire up front because the fork was more narrow. :( oh well. got the wheels painted. was going to do flat red but couldn't find any flat! stupid po-dunk town i live in!!! sooooo, i just went with gloss. i didn't go to any pains at all on the paint job, didn't smooth them out any. just primed and shot them. this is a true beater!!! :D really all i have left is to throw some covering on the seat, will changed the red grips to black, put the rear wheel back together and piece together the two chains i have for it. should ride well. is definately is not going to win any beauty pagents!!! :lol:
DSCF9482.jpg

i'd totally knock every trash can over i could find with that sweet tank.. not on my street though. haaa sweet ride bro!!!

can i talk ya outta leaving it rotting in its current state?
it has such potential.
i know, rust is cool, but i'm just not down. rust means rott! { my new platform :lol:
i'm not saying restore it by any means. have some fun. just ensure it will be around in another 50 years.

to each there own, great find. i like what ya did with the rims.

icyuod2, i know what your are saying. but it is not going to be left out where it will rust/rot anymore. you should have seen where i rescued it from! :( it will probably see a restoration of some sort later on down the road. it looks to have some brazing repairs on it in a few places too, so its not a cherry frame as far as that goes. just wanted to throw some parts on it and make it rideable for now. :wink:

nice find!!! nice beater!!!
but here or to me its a jewel!!!
prolly a coat of clear satin paint can preserve it.

got it setting on its wheels this evening. not too sure if i am feeling the red wheels, may flat black them before it's all said and done. :? still need to do the seat and chain. going to throw on some black grips instead of the red also.
DSCF9483.jpg

yeah, kinda look odd on that red color. have you thought about primer color paint?? like the red oxide primer, or stained white???
anyways, its a ratrod bike, its anything goes!! :D

well, i think i am going to re-think this bike. have you ever built one and stood back and looked at it and really wasn't feelin' the whole thing? silly question i know, if you have ever done one you have done that. :wink: i just don't like the way it looks. i think i am going to knock it apart and do some paint on the frame, cut the spokes out and paint the rims, and respoke them w/some spokes i have. also, i will try to cut/weld a new steer tube on the original fork. that way i can run the same size tire up front as the rear. it's not going to be a cream puff, just going to make it look a little better. :D i won't be able to get the rims perfectly smooth anyway, they are pretty pitted. i haven't thought of a color yet. any suggestions?

ok, so this is the color i am thinking, burgundy. i have found spots on the frame, inside the bb and head tube, that looks to have been burgundy at one time. i am thinking this and the used to be chrome parts a gunmetal. probably do the rims a gloss black, and will throw on a set of kenda flames i have. cover the seat in black vinyl and black grips and call it done. :)
DSCF9484.jpg

Back