ANOTHER STAB AT THIS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Rusty Flying Star with George Wallace bumper Sticker. No way can I paint this bike.

P1000192.jpg

P1000193.jpg

The Blue Bike is my "SuperSport"Schwinn Spitfire. She sports a two speed Bedix lever action rear hub and lightweight Salsa Gordo Rims. I shined up the head badge and think it really looks nice even without paint.
A terrific bike painter in Portsmouth, VA painted the bike with Schwinn DX Blue.

P1000162.jpg

P1000164.jpg

Yeah...give us the background on that Spitfire...looks awesome!

Glad to see that you figured out the photos. :wink:

i too would have a hard time ratting that flying star, but that spitfire is stunning. i have a 52 speedster i am working on that has that same bendex 2 speed. very cool bike love the paint. and mr rat rod is that a 24, 26 wheel combo you used on your bike? never really noticed that before.

karfer67 said:
i too would have a hard time ratting that flying star, but that spitfire is stunning. i have a 52 speedster i am working on that has that same bendex 2 speed. very cool bike love the paint. and mr rat rod is that a 24, 26 wheel combo you used on your bike? never really noticed that before.

Both 26" wheels...front one I painted and the rear came off a newer Raleigh. I'm using a a 26x2.125 out back and a 26x1.95 in front...I think...ha ha!

MY SPITFIRE

In 1990 I was in Navy EOD School and another student had this old rusty Schwinn. When he graduated I asked for the bike and I hauled her home. Had to heat up the frame to get the rusted seatpost out and then I sandblasted the frame, fork and chainguard. My original paint was a metalic dark brown from a poof can. The Bendix 2-speed came from a Huffy Radiobike (that had no radio of course).
Gordon Freedman who laced the wheels and re-built the hub for me also owed me a small favor and he painted the bike.

The pictures shown don't show the chainguard in place but its on there now.

Gordon by the way is an outstanding bike painter and has now completed dozens of great restorations and painted lots and lots of racing bikes.
So I don't feel guilty plugging him at Cycle Classics in Portsmouth, VA.

Thanks steve, Will the steel wool get the old paint off the badge?

Thanks steve, Remember this?
DSCF0320.jpg

im redoing it,
1.New tires skinny black out front fat wide wite out back
2.Schwinn apes
3.5 Spoke 70's sprocket.
4.Put black seat on it
5.Get one of them oldschool laid back seat posts
6.Polished head badge
7.Head light
8. Maybe some bobbed fenders. :)

But yeah its gonna be sharp. I orders my 26x2x1/3-4 wide wites, SUPER Hard tire size to get but me and pops found it. Everyone called us crazy saying they dont make that size. I found it.

Latest posts

Back