Anybody else into sober living?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be interested in a thread about sobriety?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today marks 4 years sober for me, and I'm curious if anyone else here is recovered from an addiction (and if you'd like to share your story).

I realize this topic could get heavy, so if this isn't something y'all are interested in, I get it. Just putting the feelers out for now I guess.

Thoughts?

Today marks 4 years sober for me, and I'm curious if anyone else here is recovered from an addiction (and if you'd like to share your story).

I realize this topic could get heavy, so if this isn't something y'all are interested in, I get it. Just putting the feelers out for now I guess.

Thoughts?
That's some hard stuff awesome

37 years dry. I didn't start drinking until I was 22. Quit cold turkey at 30. The last couple years were pretty rough. Many sessions of puking including in my brother's girl friend's brand new car. Final straw was another brother finding me passed out in bar bathroom and dragging me back to my apt. To this day I have no idea how he found me there. Drinking never made me a better person. I don't know how I never crashed a car or got a dui.

I see so many people now that are completely trashed from booze or drugs. A crappy way to flush your life down the drain. I help them by fixing their bikes or giving them a bike if they need one.

I spent 2 years on a project at work looking up causes of death of a certain population. Liver cancer from drinking was a leading cause of death, about equal with lung cancer, breast & ovarian cancers and heart attacks.

As a teen I always swore I'd never drink, never smoke, etc. Didn't see the allure in it. Then, when I was 18 or 19, all my friends started drinking. I held out for a while, but then that was all they wanted to do when they got together, so I started being left out of the gatherings. They were the only friends I had, and I was legit curious; so I decided what the hey, might as well give it a go. I was 20 when I started.

Turns out I really enjoyed the taste of it all, the side effects, etc. so it stuck, that was who I was now. Luckily I was never an angry drunk, always happy and goofy (which kind of amazes me because I always had a fierce temper). I never knew when to stop so I'd always puke. In the woods, bowling alley, cars, sidewalks, floors, bar bathrooms, fire pits, off the roof of my apartment. It was part of the shtick I guess.

Through the years I started to use alcohol as a coping mechanism, for everything from stress to anger to boredom. 12-10 years ago I was working a great job but for a terrible boss, and I found myself drinking on the way to work. It was a short 8 mile drive and I was hammering down a 6 pack of 9% beer and a few gulps of Brandy to "prepare the day". Around the same time, I came home drunk one night and got in an argument with my wife that left me feeling really down on myself. The feeling carried through to the next day, so while my wife and son were visiting her mom I decided that she'd be better off without me, that a lot of people would. I went out to the garage and climbed a ladder with a rope over my shoulder. The only thing that kept me from following through was the thought "what if my little boy finds me?" He was 2 at the time, and imagining the scene broke my heart and scared me off the ladder.

That was another turning point. I decided that maybe I should drink less...not stop, but just cut back. I limited myself to 3 drinks at a time. Once I finished 3, I'd be done. It worked for a while actually, until I realized I could bend the rule to fit the mood, or flat out lie. I kept up with the "3 drinks (give or take)" rule for a few years, then I gave that up and just dove back in head over heels. One night I had two friends over and we drank in my yard until 2am even though I had plans for 7am, which resulted in an argument. In my frustration, I gathered up every single bottle in the house and dumped them out. That was the morning of September 14th 2019, and I haven't had a drop since that night.

The first 2 years were ROUGH. Constant cravings and feelings of regret, depression, loss. I had to figure out who I was again. I almost went back to booze a few times in the first couple months but didn't want to be a quitter at quitting, lol. The third year was easier, but there were still cravings every now and then. Now, after 4 years, I'm comfortable again. Haven't had a craving all year, and the thought of drinking makes me shudder. The societal norms surrounding alcohol really tick me off. I'm saving literal thousands of dollars each year. I have a great job with great people, my wife and I find different things to argue about (lol) and I'm happy again, with no additives.

That was long and heavy, but that's my story.

I'm lucky probably, my body does not like alcohol. I get inordinately hungover from very small quantities. It's like its poison. So, I couldn't be an alcoholic if I tried. That, and my parents did all my drinking for me.

Congrats to the OP.

How about HiFi adiction?
1957hifi.jpg

@kchurch86
The beginnings were similar for me, but I managed to get over it before it got really bad. My father drank a lot and often, without really being an alcoholic. As a child I always thought you never want to become like that. When my friends started drinking alcohol while growing up, I hesitated for a long time. I drank my first beer at 19, quickly realizing that I didn't tolerate it well and did embarrassing things when drunk. my friends were often ashamed of me.
Then on my 21st birthday I said: guys, today I'm going to spend you another beer, but after that I'll never drink alcohol again. I kept my word, that was 27 years ago.
Still smoked a little, but I haven't done that either for 12 years. my only drugs: Making music, guitar effect pedals, bicycles and a lot of coffee....

What's more fun than a barrel of drunken lasses?

Attachments

• Ginwag.JPG
    Ginwag.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Quite the story @kchurch86 . Happy to read that you are sober and happy with it. Thanks for entrusting us with your story. Mental health and a variety of addictions is not talked about enough in society and certain places.

@Cycledelic68 Maybe I'm missing the point in your posts above, but to me it seems you're trolling by posting pro-alcohol content in a thread that is specifically anti-alcohol. heck of a way to respect and support the members of this community.
Good question

Listening for a response

Good question. Likes and dislikes seem to be an existential question along the lines of "Why do things exist?" What is conciousness? I used to drink a lot, but now I don't. I think use of chromium suppliments helped a lot. I hardly every drink, maybe a couple beers twice a year when me, my brother and sister go out to dinner.

I see what I posted as anti-alcohol, because it shows how it can cause anti-social behavior.

Yep, I used to be a kind of a weekend alcoholic. I remember back then having hangovers for almost a week. I found that piracetam helped a lot with that. Its the best thing I found to reduce hangovers and it helps you recover from the damage from alcohol. In the 1990's I went to some AA meetings with a friend of mine. He said he didn't think I was an alcoholic. I didn't drink every day all the time, usually only on the weekends. I'd even take breaks from it for a couple months at a time. He called himself an alcoholic even though he didn't have a drink since 1987.
https://web.archive.org/web/20080215120811/http://www.piracetam.com/

Yep, I used to be a kind of a weekend alcoholic. I remember back then having hangovers for almost a week. I found that piracetam helped a lot with that. Its the best thing I found to reduce hangovers and it helps you recover from the damage from alcohol. In the 1990's I went to some AA meetings with a friend of mine. He said he didn't think I was an alcoholic. I didn't drink every day all the time, usually only on the weekends. I'd even take breaks from it for a couple months at a time. He called himself an alcoholic even though he didn't have a drink since 1987.
https://web.archive.org/web/20080215120811/http://www.piracetam.com/
Sorry that one made me chuckle

I thought people here would like to see those videos of the Terrific Women and the sassy lasses. Here's another drunk girl video:

Back