Anyone here customize slot cars?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to dig out my old 1/32 slot car track and set it up in the spare bedroom (forgot how much fun these are!). It came with this '67 GTO that was pretty ugly, so I decided to do some customizing.

IMG_3406.jpg

Before: ugly graphics and wheels

IMG_3408.jpg

After: popped out the pass. seat and built a roll cage from model car parts tree

IMG_3413.jpg

Almost finished: wanted it to look like an old Trans Am racer, but in factory experimental form (fiberglass hood, fenders, doors, trunk, bumpers) How do you like my credit card air spoiler? :lol: Still have some things to paint before it's done, but this is a fun little project. Anyone else here play with these things?

IMG_3416.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3418.jpg

I gotta thank you for bringing back some of the BEST memories of my childhood! Back in the mid to late 60"s slot cars were a big thing. I remember scratch building 1/24 scale slot cars to race at numerous tracks in MA (Indy cars, stock cars and modifieds)............My father "shelled" out a good amount of money, to keep me off the streets.............Thanks! you just brought me to a better place.

Yeah, I forgot how much fun these little things are. :D I've seen those homemade 1/24 cars before, when they crash-they CRASH! :lol:

Some of the tracks were HUGE, 60-70ft straightaways. You're right when they crashed they CRASHED.

Hand made ... is that custom ???

We use to travel all over the state to race Drag slot cars ... 55 foot tracks with 20 foot shutdown .

we had all kind of classes . My most exciting / expensive stuff would make passes in the .490 range at over 105 real time mph .... thats 105 mph in just less than 1/2 a second ... to cover 55 feet.

It was pretty expensive .... everytime ya pulled the trigger it would cost about 5.00 min if nothing blew up .
Motors were in the 300.00 / 400.00 range for a Koford Quad with all the rite tweeks & of coarse ya always had to have spares in case ya puffed one . Still have all my stuff. most are hand made frames, nickle plated for ease of soldering.

WAY TO MUCH FUN ... ADDICTIVE KIND OF FUN lol

Holy cow, 105mph :shock: I think mine will do 15-20 tops :lol: I do have a little 41 Willys, might have to look into a motor for that one now. :p
Got any pics of your drag cars?

Hey guys Holly Michigan still has a drag strip and road course for these beasts! I've only been there a couple of times, but a few of my friends are pretty heavy into it still. The new stuff can get pretty expensive real fast!

I think that I've still got my Ford Ranchero from the 60s but it's pack deep in the storage. Also had an old Ford Thunderbolt, but don't know what happened to that.

The Gto looks great in it's new form!

I hadn't thought about slot cars for a long time. We had 3 tracks in town at the peak and I scratch built my 1/24 cars from brass tubing and solder. A clear plastic shell painted from the inside and the most powerful motor you could afford. I had a Cox controller with power brakes and we used to clean our tires with lighter fluid on the track much to the horror of the track owners. And sometime in the late 70's my mom sold all my slot cars at one of her rummage sale! WHAAAAAAAA!!!!! :cry: Gary

LOL ... Pretty expensive pretty fast sums it up pretty well.

It's rite up there with the price of collectimg old bike stuff / parts

No, No photos... they just look like well used , fast , colorfull little drag slotcars . lol I'm an old guy ... tecno challanged & everytime I do the photo thing it requires asking my kid 4 help and, and and ... well you know . lol

We use to side bet on each other in the final rounds ... We travled from LA to Eureka racing these little things.Even had Sponsers to help defer some of the cost lol. I fiannaly had to quit with the threat of Divorce cort or the little cars .... oh welll .

Dangit, now you guys have me wanting to build a dragster! Can't find many 1/32 hop up parts though, I'll have to improvise I guess. Love those VW's and Porsche C4 Metal Werks, I have some old HO scale cars I may need to dig out soon.

Post them suckers up Gold Street. Got my GTO done, not happy with my hood pin attempt, but oh well.

IMG_3495.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

Cool thread thanks for posting it, there was a similar one started on the Bulldog Skates forum a few days ago. Seems like some of these old cars are coming out of the woodwork. I never had the larger ones but I just pulled out my 70s AFX collection of a couple hundred cars I had since new. I had forgot how cool those thing were.
Dig that 66-67 GTO, but I would wreck it for sure.

Some of those old AFX cars are pretty cool, and probably valuable. I remember having a little tiger striped beetle and some model A's, need to dig through my Mom's attic and look for them.

Slot Cars, we've raced 20 years. Traveled around the country racing road coarse wing cars. Div 1 USRA for about 5 years. Got too expensive. We race alittle bit local still. My son won a National Championship in 2002 in International 15. I finished 2nd in cobalt 12 in 2004. We Drag race em too Mostly Mountain Motor ProStock

Back