Anyone stretch just the rear wheel?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find some pics of how it looks. Like how on motorcycles a lot of guess stretch or use a stretched swing arm to pull the rear tire back. I'd like to see how it looks on a bicycle.

Thanks as always guys.

I built this one for the Anything Goes Build Off. Kind of an extreme stretch.
2mr719y.jpg

f56fb7.jpg

udallcustombikes said:
I built this one for the Anything Goes Build Off. Kind of an extreme stretch.

Yeah I was thinking of like 6-12 inches. hahaha Cool none the less.

Thanks!

doesn't look much longer, but it's a 20" wheel on a 26" swing arm

Picture099.jpg

SANY0009.jpg

two of the "when is he ever gonna finish that thing?" bikes. looks a little longer on the second one. i'm actually hoping to rework that one to use a 24"wheel.

You may have seen this bike before, but if not it might help you out. The mounting point for the rear axle was moved back 10". This was done by extending the lower frame stays and adding the drop hangers. This bike has been ridden by other members here on this forum, so I'm sure they would agree with the fact that is a great riding bike and handles well. It does take a whole lane to turn around though. If you didn't lay the frame back and don't extend the forks your bike would turn tighter. Hope this helps. I've been building choppers since I was 13, so I've been doing them for 42 years now . Wow, how time flies! I built this bike 15 years ago.
chopper.jpg

chopper5cog.jpg

chopperdiscbr.jpg

chopperlwrframe.jpg

choppercrank.jpg

And yes, the old girl is long overdue for a repaint! When my two sons were younger, they and all their friends rode this alot! I can't even guess how many times this bike has been layed down. "Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!

We did this little job a few years ago on a 20" Ross. Kept the "stock frame" intent of the build off, but extended the rear drops up and to the rear about 6-8".

The idea was to duplicate the look of old BMW motorcycle suspension which has prominent external shocks in the rear.

The early weld pics look a little rough but are good to see what we built it out of (junk 10-speed rear triangles).

redrossframe28.jpg

redrossrearframe59.jpg

redrossframe76.jpg

redrossfinish85.jpg

It gives the little bike a long low look and without a rider on it it's hard to get a sense of its size. My wife likes it!

redrossdowntownc135.jpg

Hope that gives you some ideas!

--Rob

Thanks guys!

NLCTVWguy, those look like the old Amen Savior frames. I was actually looking to build a Honda CB 750 using one of those but sort of got out of motorcycles last year.

Spincycle, that was more what I was thinking of. Thanks!

motopsyco said:
Here's one that is a little less extreme, about 2 1/2" back a 1 1/2" lower. Just cut some new dropouts out of some plate and weld them on.
huffinright.jpg

Thanks man. Is that a 250 as your avatar.

Back