Apes and Tall bike illegal in California?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
According to California Vehicle Code, Ape hangers and tall bikes are illegal along with fix gears bikes without and additional brake.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21201.htm
21201. (a) No person shall operate a bicycle on a roadway unless it is equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make one braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.

(b) No person shall operate on the highway a bicycle equipped with handlebars so raised that the operator must elevate his hands above the level of his shoulders in order to grasp the normal steering grip area.

(c) No person shall operate upon a highway a bicycle that is of a size that prevents the operator from safely stopping the bicycle, supporting it in an upright position with at least one foot on the ground, and restarting it in a safe manner.

The apes goes back to the origins of custom bikes per John Brain' s article.
http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/br ... ory63.html
_21__1963_new_California_laws_fo.RE_BBB.jpg

i almost think id like to be sited for the apes lol ... kind of like bragging rights i suppose. and i wonder what kind of jerk would actually ticket someone for that. :lol:

Wouldn't get too spun up on it, the only thing I've seen them hassle anybody on is night lighting, and that's usually an intro for an adult to operating while intoxicated, a full DUI on Cali worth $5-10K the big money ticket. On the Tour de Fat ride we had guys on boneshakers which would seem to fit in the tall bike one foot touching category and the police were just asking them about the bikes themselves, no tickets. Never been bothered on an ape-hanger myself.

The fixie one-brake rule is law in many states and more adopting it.

Its all about big brother watching you and protecting you from yourself! You know cause your an idiot! Who would do such a thing? :mrgreen:

Later T

socal_jack said:
Wouldn't get too spun up on it, the only thing I've seen them hassle anybody on is night lighting, .

I just thought it was interesting. :wink: Leftover from the when the craze started

Have you noticed that what we generally think of as cool is probably illegal in most states? I'm pretty sure that flame throwers are not legal in any state yet I want them on ever vehicle I own! Bikes included!

Later Travis

It just reminds me of back in the day (or should I say a long time ago ) back when you could buy a musclecar for less than a $1000, I was a teenager once :lol: no really I was and you have to picture Fremont California, Mission blvd, me and my buddy were cruising the blvd (cruising, driving around with no place to go,gas was cheap,beer was easy to get,and we thought we were all that) in his 70 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe slightly modified, brown with Centerlines,Radial T/A,s traction bars (hanging to low)360 with 340 heads, two fours Nitrous and a big ole Sox&Martin hood scoop, Cuda! decal across the windshield and vinyl striping (pro Street look) down the side, so it caught attention from the local police from time to time and this night was no different, so as the cop hits the lights and pulls us over and lectures my buddy about his hood scoop being too tall and his windshield sticker. The officer says "what if little Johnny is playing ball and it rolls out into the street, would you see him ? response from my friend " little Johnny should know better than to run in front of my car" Citation ,citation ,citation, and yes the cop measured the traction bars for height.....

IronSpadeCycles said:
Have you noticed that what we generally think of as cool is probably illegal in most states? I'm pretty sure that flame throwers are not legal in any state yet I want them on ever vehicle I own! Bikes included!

I know a guy that installs train horns on his and his dad's vehicle. They install an air-compressor and holding tank to handle it.

cman said:
socal_jack said:
Wouldn't get too spun up on it, the only thing I've seen them hassle anybody on is night lighting, .

I just thought it was interesting. :wink: Leftover from the when the craze started

The difference in language is interesting also, the earlier laws prohibit operation on "highways" versus the later fixie law prohibiting on "roadways". In Cali "highways" and "streets" are synonymous (as opposed to a "freeway" which would be considered a "highway" in many states) but not "roadways" which are a subset like a single lane of a highway, possibly including parking lots to my understanding. Possibly an even more restrictive law.

Why do you guys think I put a 1 gallon motorcycle tank on PW's bike? Its to hold the 100 Oz Camel-Back bladder for "refreshments" :mrgreen:

Later T

You would think that restrictive California would pass a helmet law before they worried about pedal height and apes. Not that I want a helmet law, but it makes me wonder. Here in IL, they passed a helmet law for motorcycles back in '68 or '69. A lawsuit followed, and the IL Supreme Court threw out the helmet law in '69. I'm not sure how this would apply to bicycles, but our motorcycle riders are still helmet free 40 yrs. later. 8) Gary

My state has the same brake/skid rule. Statewide, helmets only apply to riders under 16 years of age but there are some local ordinances that reqire helmets for all riders. Night riding reqires a headlight visable for 500 feet and reflector or light visable for 100 feet on the rear. No handlebar restrictions on bicycles, but motorcyles can't have apes taller than 13". Thanks!!!

B607 said:
You would think that restrictive California would pass a helmet law before they worried about pedal height and apes. Not that I want a helmet law, but it makes me wonder. Here in IL, they passed a helmet law for motorcycles back in '68 or '69. A lawsuit followed, and the IL Supreme Court threw out the helmet law in '69. I'm not sure how this would apply to bicycles, but our motorcycle riders are still helmet free 40 yrs. later. 8) Gary

We already have a helmet law for bikes, riders under 16 mandatory(goes for pretty much anything scooters etc), over 16 optional.

If you know how to ride a Fixie like a Hipster you shouldnt have any problems making one tire skid to a stop. So eat that officer.... lol.

They are trying to pass all kinds of crazy bike laws this month in Philadelphia because some idiot pedestrian stepped in front a bicycle and actually died from his injuries....

Back